Duemilanove versus Boarduino

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cpstei

Duemilanove versus Boarduino

Post by cpstei »

I am new to Arduino. I am looking for suggestions in choosing either a Duemilanove versus Boarduino to get started. I am not new to microcontroller environments, I am just looking for your opinions regarding the pros and cons of both. Both seem quite cool.
Chris S

Franklin97355

Re: Duemilanove versus Boarduino

Post by Franklin97355 »

Chris, without more info on what you want from them or what you plan to do I'd say get them both.

cpstei

Post by cpstei »

franklin97355 wrote:Chris, without more info on what you want from them or what you plan to do I'd say get them both.
At this point I want to just get more comfortable with the processing language and just compare it to basic stamp and propeller languages. I am interested in Arduino because I am tired of the high costs of the stuff I have been using the last few years. I do a lot of different kinds of projects and would be interested in the small size of the boarduino for some of my projects, but I just wonder if I would be limiting myself if I didn't go with the Duemilanove to begin with.

westfw

Post by westfw »

"Shields" plug into Duemianove, while BoArduino plugs into breadboards (assuming the USB Boarduino.)

As a beginner, having the "standard" Duemmianove will put you in common with a larger group of people. I found that having BareBones Boards, Boardunino, Solarbotics Freeduino, NKC Freeduino, and homebrew SS Serial Arduino left me in a sort of awkward "well, I didn't have that problem" mode when trying to help answer questions; I recently caved in and acquired a "real" arduino as well...

John_NY

Post by John_NY »

I started (on Friday 7/3) with both Boarduino and Duemilanove; it is my first time using a microcontroller, and first time soldering in a while (so our situations are different). The Duemilanove worked right away, but I may have made an error in soldering or testing the Boarduino, since it gave me a general error that, according to ladyada's tutorial, is difficult to diagnose. I like having both, since the Duemilanove works right out of the box, while the Boarduino promises a lower-cost option should I end up using a few microcontrollers. I can't comment on the quirks one may have over the other just yet.
(I also liked the Arduino Starter Kit with the prototyping sheild and breadboard, but that could be because I'm starting out and don't have a full-sized breadboard yet.)
My 2¢,
-John

7/16 Update: My DC Boarduino is my favorite of the two, since I went out and purchased a full-size breadboard. By default, the DC Boarduino does not have auto-reset, so you need to press the reset button before it'll upload a "sketch". I saw some instructions from Ladyada about "Set RTS On Close", but there's a trade-off: "the Boarduino will not automatically start the sketch after upload if you do this". I think I'll stick with pressing the button for now.
Last edited by John_NY on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

never had any trouble with the boarduino. since you build it yourself it gives you some flexibility you wouldn't otherwise have. wanna build an alarm clock? leave out the resonator and replace it with a 32.768KHz crystal. you will need an isp programmer like the usbtinyisp to change the clock source. i've even used a boarduino to prototype for a project to be built on a minipov3 board. once, again, had to alter the fuses to turn on the internal resonator.

after a little more than a year and half of playing with this stuff i recently did get a board in the standard layout, but i haven't used it yet.

and the language used is called wiring, but it's just a bunch of helper functions on top of a c++ environment.

processing runs on a pc and is a bunch of helper functions dumped on top of a java environment.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”