Ladyada's "Atmex" remix

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
trialex

Ladyada's "Atmex" remix

Post by trialex »

I've done a re-mix of Ladyada's Atmex - http://www.ladyada.net/techproj/Atmex/index.html. Atmex stands for "Atmel Experimentation System" - it is a programmer board for the AtTiny2313 microcontroller.

I did this remix for a few reasons:
  • [1]Needed a reliable circuit for serial communications with RS232 port
    [2]Bored at work and board/schematic layout is easy to pass of as "real work"
    [3]Looking for an excuse to try out Seeedstudio's Propagandahttp://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/propag ... p-513.html service
The changes I have made are
  • [1] Removed prototyping area - I prefer wires going to a breadboard than soldering
    [2] Added 6-pin ISP port
    [3] Added V+ and GND pins
    [4] Changed switch to a stardard 4-pin pushbutton type
    [5] Changed to thru-hole rather than edge connector for DB9 serial port
    [6] Fit PCB to within Seeedstudio's 5x5cm limit
The schematic and board are here as images and attached. I was hoping I could please get some feedback, and to guage a level of interest in getting a copy of the PCB or a kit.

For quantity 3, open sourcing the board (which of course it already is), and skipping the e-test, the price would be $13 for 3 copies. Gets cheaper after that.

I know that most people are going away from RS232 now, but laying out and soldering a USB converter chip is a pain.

There is some significant work done by the Luminet guys and posted on the arduino forum to allow the Arduino IDE and language to be used with smaller chips - at the moment the AtTiny2313 and AtTiny85.

Thanks!
Atmex 2_0 - Schematic image.png
Atmex 2_0 - Schematic image.png (15.25 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Atmex 2_0 - Board image.png
Atmex 2_0 - Board image.png (22.82 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Attachments
Atmex v2.0.zip
(56.32 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

mtbf0

Re: Ladyada's "Atmex" remix

Post by mtbf0 »

jeez, i really like my t2313's, but i'd hate to give up any memory to a bootloader. wonder if one could bit-bang spi to a pc using a minipov3. most of the work must have been done in avrdude.

just got my chumby guts from the maker shed and it ought to be fun to hang a bunch of blinky things off of it.

trialex

Post by trialex »

Very jealous of the "stripped" chumby. I couldn't justify starting a new project at the moment, so didn't grab one. Of course when I really want one in the future they won't be so cheap anymore...

Yep not much space for a bootloader. Not planning on going that way anyways, planning on programming via ISP and communicating via the serial port.

Do any/most USB<->RS232 converters provide power from on the RS232 side? I'm guessing not seing as how I don't think there are any free pins.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

trialex wrote:Do any/most USB<->RS232 converters provide power from on the RS232 side? I'm guessing not seing as how I don't think there are any free pins.
the ftdi usb-serial ttl cables provides power. also eliminates the need for the level shifter.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”