Inexpensive ATMEGA32 JTAG programmer

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bongo

Inexpensive ATMEGA32 JTAG programmer

Post by Bongo »

Does adafruit carry or can you recommend an inexpensive product for flashing an in circuit (read: powered) ATMEGA32 via JTAG. I have a parallel port available on my laptop dock/port replicator, which I am guessing may be the cheapest form of these. I intend to use PonyProg to flash the ATMEGA32. I do not need the capability to debug in line, but simply to load someone else's off the shelf program (monome firmware) to the ATMEGA32.

Thank you!

Entropy

Re: Inexpensive ATMEGA32 JTAG programmer

Post by Entropy »

Why do you want to use JTAG instead of the standard Atmel ICSP?

Very few people use JTAG to flash AVRs, partly because very few AVRs have JTAG. (And can those that do have it be flashed with it, or just debugged???)

The standard Atmel ICSP approach is supported by all AVR chips, and Adafruit sells a programmer kit, the USBTinyISP for $22.

minime72706

Post by minime72706 »

I've used the ATMEGA32A and you can debug AND program it via JTAG.
If the chip has JTAG and you intend to use the debugger, you might as well program it using JTAG too.

Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Well, they specifically mention they only need to do a one-time firmware load, and no debugging.

ICSP is the cheapest way to go for that.

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

Consider the AVR Dragon if you REALLY want a jtag programmer. The Dragon will also do HV serial and parallel programming (handy if you set your fuses wrong by accident and can no longer use the isp or jtag anymore), isp, and debug wire modes. With the latest firmware is may even program xmega devices. The Dragon only costs about $50 a bit less than twice the cost of an isp programmer. The Dragon's only downside is that it is a circuit board only, you must provide the connection cables and an enclosure to house it in. (DON'T use the Dragon 'naked', this will lead to its' demise as it is VERY static sensitive when powered up.) The Dragon used to have a 32k limit on program size for debugging, this limit has been removed in Atmel's latest firmware. (I guess they took enough heat for this one and made the change). The Dragon will NOT program AVR32 or SAM devices, you still need the JTAGMkII for that ($300), or the AVR-one ($600).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”