AVR ADC question

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
foobillious

AVR ADC question

Post by foobillious »

Hi All,

I'm working on a circuit based around a at90s4433. I realise this is an ancient chip, but i've got a bunch of them lying around and I wanted to use them up.

I'm having an issue trying to use the chip's ADC to measure the voltage the high (5-35v) voltage output from a boost converter thats PWM control is handled by the same chip. In order to measure this I was connecting the ADC ping through a voltage divider comprised of a 10K and 1k resistor, with the junction connected to the chips ADC0 pin. The problem is when the pin is connected to the junction the voltage reads like the 1k resistor is a 500 Ohm (measured with both the ADC and my multimeter). When the pin is not connected the voltage reads as expected (1/10th of the input voltage) Is this normal behaviour or have I screwed something up?

When measuring 5Volt and lower voltages directly (no voltage divider) with the ADC the voltage reads almost the same as my multimeter (certainly within the error range that i'm happy with).

zener

Re: AVR ADC question

Post by zener »

Is there an option for an internal pulldown? Maybe try assuming that a 1K pulldown is there (as it seems to act like) so just put a 9K series resistor to it and see if it acts like a 10:1 voltage divider.

foobillious

Re: AVR ADC question

Post by foobillious »

There is an option for an internal pull-up. hmm.. maybe I just stuffed my maths.

I'll check again and try the 9k resistor idea if the maths was right. Thank you for your help Zener

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”