ARM Board/Tutorial?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fat16lib

Re: ARM Board/Tutorial?

Post by fat16lib »

Giovanni Di Sirio is the author of ChibiOS/RT. I think phrases like "deeply embedded" are due to the fact that his first language is Italian.

This OS seems targeted at the kind of applications VxWorks is used for. See "Project Goals" here http://chibios.sourceforge.net/html/index.html.

He has done an amazing amount of work on this OS. It is nowhere near a product like VxWorks.

Wind River is now owned by Intel so I don't know much about its current status. When my friends ran it, it was a complete support company. They provided tools, OS, training, support, consulting, programming help, and more. They helped make the Mars rovers a success by helping Cal Tech. You can't get that with free open software.

I don't blame any company for discouraging use of open source software especially with GPL problems. The last thing a project needs is technical problems with tools or legal problems. Big high performance projects really stress RTOS software. It is good to have a vendor who will support you when things go wrong.

Your right, ARM is a very limited standard. It is a real pain to get open source SW and HW tools to work with a given chip. Even chips in the same family like STM32F are very different.

len17

Post by len17 »

westfw wrote:As a developer of commercial embedded SW, anything GPL3 is expressly forbidden for us to consider using, and even GPL and LGPL are ambiguous are require approval by a corp of lawyers :-(
I'm curious: Do your lawyers spend as much time scrutinizing the licenses on proprietary software? What is it about open source that is so problematic compared to "closed" software? I've seen many bad EULAs - like SDKs that tell you how to distribute the runtime libs, but they're "all rights reserved" so you can't legally do it. :?

My TV runs Linux - Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

adafruit

Re:

Post by adafruit »

Len17 wrote: I'm curious: Do your lawyers spend as much time scrutinizing the licenses on proprietary software? What is it about open source that is so problematic compared to "closed" software? I've seen many bad EULAs - like SDKs that tell you how to distribute the runtime libs, but they're "all rights reserved" so you can't legally do it. :? My TV runs Linux - Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
hey guys - this can be a good discussion, keep it pro and polite. licensing is always an interesting topic :)

robodude666

Re: ARM Board/Tutorial?

Post by robodude666 »

.. but unrelated to the thread ;).

In other news, I contacted Kevin (ktownsend) a few days ago and found out a bit about these mysterious ARM boards Limor mentioned before on AAE. The board is based on the ARM Cortex-M3 LPC1343, which is quite a nifty little chip. It's slightly lower-end then LPC1768 on the mbed I have, though it won't feature mbed's slow Arduino-like APIs so it aught to be much faster. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't have enough I/O for my needs. Fortunately though, it features a USB bootloader that aught to work with OS X according to Kevin. Hopefully he'll work on a beefier board soon.

Currently the Maple Native fits my needs the most but without any ETA, cost or reply from LeafLabs it doesn't seem doable at the moment. Atmel's SAM3 still looks heavenly, but with the lack of development boards proper it's not a doable solution either.

-robodude666

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”