Converting Propeller dev board to power off USB

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
echoskope

Converting Propeller dev board to power off USB

Post by echoskope »

Granted I am not driving motors or running all 8 cogs hard core, would the power from the USB be enough to keep the board happy (propeller+FTDI)? I know in order to do that I would need to bypass the 5V regulator and put the Vdd from the USB straight into the 3.3V regulator. I looked on the parallax website and it says you need a "Power req: 6 - 9 VDC, 300mA+, 2.1mm barrel jack, center positive tip" and I thought USB could do up to 500mA safely.... I really want to be able to do this because I am usually on my laptop and sometimes finding a power source isn't an option (although when I am around an outlet the adafruit arduino wall wart works perfect!). If the USB can support the power requirements I figured I could either splice my USB cable and solder on an extra wire and just plug it into the 5V port on the board (I am using a Propeller Starter Kit, its alot like the dev board adafruit sells), or I could find a place that I could scratch off some solder mask and solder on a wire to the USB Vdd trace and run it into the 5V rail... Any help is appreciated!

adafruit

Re: Converting Propeller dev board to power off USB

Post by adafruit »

you should try contacting the shop you bought the dev board for, we can only provide support for our customers and products :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”