Reprogram ATMega16 signature bytes

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pascor

Re: Reprogram ATMega16 signature bytes

Post by pascor »

Alan, you are exactly right. My basic stumbling block was that Avrdude misreports important information and its documentation is clearly misleading in its descriptions of the options. :roll: Oh well...

1) When Avrdude says that it can't talk with a chip then its report of the device signature is totally bogus and should have not been reported at all.

2) The "-b" option description makes no sense. I was mistaken when I assumed that this controlled the ISP serial programming clock frequency. It doesn't. The documentation gives no hint at what this option is really for.

3) The "-B" option actually controls all the serial programming interfaces' clocks. The Avrdude documentation fails to simply state this also controls the ISP programming clock rate.

I finally reprogrammed the clock control fuse byte to use the internal 8 MHz RC clock with this command :
avrdude.exe -B 20 -p atmega16 -P USB -c usbtiny -U lfuse:w:0xE4:m

This whole ordeal has been very painful due to the sheer quantity of misinformation and bad advice given. :x

Many thanks to all that have contributed who know what they're talking about ! :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”