ISO7816-3 Smart Card to Arduino

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
customdev

ISO7816-3 Smart Card to Arduino

Post by customdev »

I am looking for help or someone to point me in the right direction on a project I am working on currently. I am trying to get an arduino to read a Smart Card (ISO7816-3). I am able to activate / deactivate the card using an interface IC, but the IO from the card is asynchronous and it uses a 4MHz clock and I don’t know how to read the pin using arduino (BTW it is not I2C). If someone has done this or know of an interface chip that contains a T=0 UART to I2C, etc. Any help will be appreciated.

adafruit

Re: ISO7816-3 Smart Card to Arduino

Post by adafruit »

look at the sim reader project and code for insight

makomk

Re: ISO7816-3 Smart Card to Arduino

Post by makomk »

If you just need to talk to a smart card with a computer, the SIM reader project is probably a good starting point, yeah. On the other hand, if you actually need to be able to talk to the smart card via an Arduino without the computer doing all the hard lifting... that's slightly trickier. Just put something online that ought to get you part of the way, but it's fairly hairy code - probably hairier than you'd need. (Note that it generates the 4MHz clock for the card itself using one of the Arduino timers - in fact, the code and Arduino library combined consume all the timers.) That code only does the low-level bitbanging required to send and receive T=0 bytes, but the higher-level protocol is quite easy and the SIM reader code should give you a good idea of how to do it. If you want to write your own code, this page may help you.

I actually found this post when Googling for ISO-7816 Arduino stuff prior to releasing my own code. Doesn't look like there's much more out there than last time I looked.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”