2 CR2032's to drive an Arduino Pro

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeffjohnvol

2 CR2032's to drive an Arduino Pro

Post by jeffjohnvol »

Hi. I'm working on a mini-sumobot and he needs a BANNED. I am using 2 small Lipos for the motors, but was just going to use a 9V bat to drive the arduino pro.

The 9V bat is 46 grams, so there is some real opportunity to shrink down in that front. Would 2 CR2032's have enough current to power the arduino effectively? It seems to be the lightest combination to get to 6 volts. I hope it would have enough mAh to get through the tourney, but I can bring extras.

What do ya'll think? I'm open to other suggestions for other alternatives.

Thanks.

westfw

Re: 2 CR2032's to drive an Arduino Pro

Post by westfw »

You'd be better off using another LiPo...
An Arduino draws significantly more current than CR2032 style batteries are designed to provide. (they're widely abused, and it would probably work for a while, but it wouldn't be good.) (It's certainly something you could try as an experiment.) You can drive the arduino "5V" supply directly from the ~ 4.2V battery (but beware over-discharging if it is a bare cell.)

You could look around for one of those LiPo based "emergency cell phone charger" things. Radio Shacks near us were closing out these: http://www.digipowersolutions.com/store ... cts_id/687 They're seriously cute; sort of a micro minty-boost.

jeffjohnvol

Post by jeffjohnvol »

Thanks. Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be enough. The Lipo is only 3.7V though, so I would need two of them, whose weight would be as much as a 9V.

Since my first post, I've been thinking about using 2 CR123a's. They are 3.7V each and would be 11 grams lighter than a 9V. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.
Jeff

westfw

Post by westfw »

CR123's (or CR2) should work fine. Are you talking about the rechargable Li-Ion sort? If not, they're only 3V each...

You could also use a 3 to 3.7V cell with a minty-boost like circuit to get up to 5V.

jeffjohnvol

Post by jeffjohnvol »

Litihium Ion. I would run two in series to get 6 volts for the 5 volt version of the Pro I have.

Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”