What IDE to use?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sasuto

What IDE to use?

Post by sasuto »

I was wondering what IDE do I use to write code and program a Atmega chips.
I currently have a Arduino 2009 which can only work with Atmega328 and Atmega168. I also have a USBtinyISP.

westfw

Re: What IDE to use?

Post by westfw »

EMACS.

Seriously, I dislike IDEs as a general concept. If it doesn't run on all the hosts you're likely to use (eliminates most of them), and doesn't support all the targets you're likely to use (eliminates most vendor-supplied tools), it means too much effort is spent learning multiple programs that do very similar things, only differently. You're better off learning the truly portable tools, even if they have less eye-candy.) (although I have to admit that some of the built-in help and auto-completion options in some of the windows programming environments were pretty nice, especially when trying to write programs without knowing what you're doing!)

Your Arduino 2009 also supports ATmega8.

neutron spin

Post by neutron spin »

For Atmel products I usually use their tools....AVR Studio and others...regards...

chatham

Post by chatham »

Goodness, I feel sorry for you if you're using the Arduino IDE... I'm a big fan of AVRStudio (ooh, AVR Studio 5 beta is out!), myself, even if only for the fuse-setting. I think a lot of people also use Eclipse, with some plugins.

As the EMACS comment implies, there is a LOT of personal preference involved, and no one way is correct. For instance, I'd personally rather spend the small amount of time to get used to 3 or 4 different GUI IDE's than fight with the black box that is EMACS. I'm one of those people who is kinda allergic to the command line, though; whereas other people feel like if you're not typing in a command, you're cheating. I think the best suggestion would be to look for a solution that matches your style, but importantly, is also fairly mainstream/will continue to be supported (making AVR Studio, Eclipse, and the command line all good choices).

neutron spin

Post by neutron spin »

AVR Studio 5.0..... :D R O C K S !!!!!.....The bad thing is my poor STK500 isn't supported :( ....or is it? :D

rj44319

Post by rj44319 »

Eclipse is a really nice one... I use it..(it uses AVRDUDE natively to program the chip)
Also, CodeVison not free but very cool
AVR studio is nice but it don't directly support USBTiny.

tgil

Post by tgil »

Eclipse!

unsigned_bool

Post by unsigned_bool »

Vi.

Ok, probably not. Eclipse has been working great for me. Took some time setting it up (AVRDude, WinAVR, etc) but well worth it to get away from the Arduino IDE. Of coarse I'm used to Eclipse so I guess there is a learning curve if you've never used it before.

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Older versions of Eclipse were bloated pigs, but the newer ones seem to run faster. Still, running Eclipse takes a lot of horsepower. Emacs w c++-mode is going to be faster/smaller, as long as you aren't loading a bunch of other stuff (e.g. JDEE, which is slow/huge).

Familiarity with both is A Good Thing.

mikegrey28

Post by mikegrey28 »

rj44319 wrote:Eclipse is a really nice one... I use it..(it uses AVRDUDE natively to program the chip)
Also, CodeVison not free but very cool
AVR studio is nice but it don't directly support USBTiny.
So for as new beginners here are the links:
AVR studio: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools ... o_overview (you need XP SP3, and need to register to download).
CodeVison: link ?
Eclipse: link ? (Have been googleing but didn't find it yeat.)

PLease complete links. Thanks.

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.org
AVR Plugin: http://avr-eclipse.sourceforge.net/
Tutorial: http://avr-eclipse.sourceforge.net/user ... rials.html

Note that the plugin is using avr-gcc behind the scenes, so you'll need that, too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”