Gah, Linux, avrdude and avrisp mk2 troubles

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Myrmidon

Gah, Linux, avrdude and avrisp mk2 troubles

Post by Myrmidon »

Greetings all.

I've been tryna get my avrisp mk2 working in Linux Mint, and it's been a bit of a pain. I'm also trying out kontrollerlab but both that and avrdude have the same issue, I can't find which USB port is being used by the mk2.

I've tried lsusb and dmesg but none of those are giving me what I seek, a simple "avrisp mk2 is connected at /dev/ttyUSB0" etc. In kontrollerlab there is a dropdown list which has:

parallel ports
USB
/dev/tty0
/dev/tty1
/dev/tty2
/dev/tty3
/dev/ttyUSB0

I assumed because the /dev/ttyUSB0 was in the list that this would be the correct one, but no.

I also tried adding a udev rule as indicated here: http://blog.kfish.org/2007/02/atmel-avr ... buntu.html and here http://mightyohm.com/blog/2010/11/atmel ... irtualbox/ but that hasn't worked either.

Can anyone with better Linux experience help me out please?

:(

abqlewis

Re: Gah, Linux, avrdude and avrisp mk2 troubles

Post by abqlewis »

I haven't used kontrollerlab, but on Ubuntu 10.4 I use "-P usb" with avrdude. I've assumed that "usb" just tells avrdude to use some internal driver. Learned the hard way that "-P USB" does NOT work, but I think that's just an avrdude thing. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my AVRISP-MKII is really an adafruit ATMega32u4 Breakout Board+, running the LUFA AVRISP-MKII Clone software.

This doesn't completely answer your question, but you can at least test to see if this works with avrdude on mint.

BTW, on my system, lsusb shows :

Bus 002 Device 015: ID 03eb:2104 Atmel Corp. AVR ISP mkII

Michael

Myrmidon

Re: Gah, Linux, avrdude and avrisp mk2 troubles

Post by Myrmidon »

My lsusb shows something similar.

Just checked there and you have solved my problem! by putting in 'usb' I get feedback from the programmer in avrdude.

Kontrollerlab's dropdown menu has 'USB' however so that must be the issue.

I wonder if there's a way to change it.

It looks as though I can now program through avrdude now, cheers.

:)

EDIT: LOL, just tried the 'USB' from dropdown again there and everything is working now. Thanks again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”