AVR as a smart card

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
freeat12five

AVR as a smart card

Post by freeat12five »

Has anyone tried to use an AVR as a smart card, complete with certificate and BANNED engine? If so, can you point me to some sample design / code?

Thanks,

Pete

scott_42

Re: AVR as a smart card

Post by scott_42 »

The only thing I've read thus far about AVR BANNED was the couple of application notes put out by Atmel about using AES and DES encrytpion on AVR devices. Those are linked along with all of their other app notes on their website under the microcontrollers documents.

freeat12five

Post by freeat12five »

Thanks Scott:

I read that too. It seems that basically the BANNED products are geared towards hardening the systems against side channel attacks. This doesn't need to be that fancy. I guess what I am looking for is a way for a device with the AVR to authenticate itself by presenting the certificate as its credentials. I imagine the certificate would, along with the BANNED logic, be burned to flash, and then set the RESET DISABLE fuse (to prevent tampering). I am not concerned with cryogenics, electron microscopes, etc. :D I guess the certificate would be generated out of band (using gpg for example) and then copied in to either the source code or hex code. I guess I need to look for the code that reads and presents the certificate credentials and then port it to AVR.

scott_42

Post by scott_42 »

Do you have a specific application in mind? As in, are you trying to interface with an existing system so you need to follow their standards or are you making your own and free to define your own handshake protocol, certificate chain of trust, etc.? This happens to be one of my areas of interest. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”