Smallest AVR that's been Arduino bootloaded

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jmsaavedra

Smallest AVR that's been Arduino bootloaded

Post by jmsaavedra »

Hi all -

I'm working on a project that really only requires 1 ADC (8 or 10-bit) and 1 PWM pin (also 8 or 10-bit).

What's the smallest AVR microcontroller that you've seen bootloaded with Arduino? I ask this because I want it to be hackable afterwards by makers.

Otherwise are there any small AVR projects that are well documented out there? I have a USBtinyISP to get 'er done.

Any suggestions at all are hugely appreciated!

joe

westfw

Re: Smallest AVR that's been Arduino bootloaded

Post by westfw »

I think that the core and some of the libraries have been ported to AVRs as small as the ATtiny85.
http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/
I don't think the tiny's support a bootloader.

Note that from a hackability point of view, a mega8 has compete Arduino compatibility, and is less than $1 more expensive than a tiny85...

(actually, a tiny85 isn't so tiny. 8k Flash! So it might be more capable than I'm thinking.)

sircastor

Post by sircastor »

IIRC from the 25/45/85, it does support a bootloader - I haven't spent any time seeing if the Arduino bootloader will fit on it. But as westfw mentioned, the ATtinyx5 will take Arduino compiled code. In fact, I did this just last night. I loaded my code with a programmer, but you can load it with an arduino, meaning you only need to write and compile and you're set.

The tinys don't need the Arduino boot loader - if you let the Arduino act as the programmer, you're gold.

kasbah

Post by kasbah »

In terms of package I think it is the atmega88s: http://jaanus.tech-thing.org/other/tiny ... e-possible

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”