BeagleBone rev. A4 Ethernet problems

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fhayashi

BeagleBone rev. A4 Ethernet problems

Post by fhayashi »

Have had problems getting my new BeagleBone to work. Googling shows that it's not an isolated problem. Apparently there were some changes from rev. A3 to A4 which seems to have broken the Ethernet. Apparently the workaround is "removing resister R219", but I'm not sure if they mean short that resistor, or make that circuit open.

When I have time, I'll try to remove that resistor as suggested, but I'm a bit afraid that I'll lift up the solder pads or something.

The description states that these boards are tested prior to sale - was the Ethernet not tested?

adafruit

Re: BeagleBone rev. A4 Ethernet problems

Post by adafruit »

Which version do you have? These are all tested by the TI/circuitco folks (who make them). Where is the suggestion to remove that resistor?

fhayashi

Post by fhayashi »

I have the A4 revision, which I just received yesterday. The info regarding the fix for the problem is from this Google group:

http://groups.google.com/group/beaglebo ... 0348268177

Mentions the problem and the 'fix'. Also notes the reset button problem in the A3 boards.

HughJohnson

Post by HughJohnson »

Could be totally different (mine is A3), but I couldn't get the ethernet to work reliably if I booted with the usb cable connected.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

fhayashi wrote:I have the A4 revision, which I just received yesterday. The info regarding the fix for the problem is from this Google group:

http://groups.google.com/group/beaglebo ... 0348268177

Mentions the problem and the 'fix'. Also notes the reset button problem in the A3 boards.
thanks, it looks like they pass test in the factory (all boards are fully tested) but some hubs cause incompatibility. have you tried the 'reboot' fix? can you attempt to crush that resistor? let us know if that doesn't work :)

jdwbmc

Post by jdwbmc »

HughJohnson wrote: Could be totally different (mine is A3), but I couldn't get the ethernet to work reliably if I booted with the usb cable connected.
Hugh,

It could be your image that is causing the Ethernet problem. I've tried different images on my BeagleBone with different results. The Ethernet would not work with the original shipping image, but both later images I tried could connect with Ethernet. See my post about the experiment at:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=25627

John

fhayashi

Post by fhayashi »

I did end up removing the SMD resister at R219. It's working now, serving up the default slide show.

I also found that the 5V supply I had been using for my Arduino does not put out enough amperage to run the Beaglebone. I had to get power through the USB. The power light was blinking with my too-weak power supply.

Ossian

Post by Ossian »

I just got my rev. 4 board today and was experiencing the same Ethernet problem described in this thread.
Removing R219 looks like it fixed the issue for me. After removing R219 the Beagebone board appeared on the network and I was able to connect and communicate with it.

I'm a little surprised that this Ethernet issue made it through the QC process, don't know what that says about the rest of the functions on the board? Time will tell. For now at least I'm up and running. :roll:

daimusou

Post by daimusou »

According to Gerald Corley over in Google Groups, no software fix is likely (as they first hoped). Since my ultimate use for this will use WiFi, I hesitate to hack the board as a workaround, and maybe will use the USB method during initial development.

And I just ordered my BeagleBone yesterday. :(

jvcleave

Post by jvcleave »

Just got my A4 as well. I already have an A3 so I thought it was a software issue when I tried to plug in my card and it didn't automatically connect.

Popped out R219 and everything is good so far. :/

paverbeke

Post by paverbeke »

Hi,

I am having problems connecting to the ethernet with a Beaglebone board A4 I
just received. Working fine with the console over USB. But no ethernet communication
over USB or wired cable.

I saw on the forums that removing a resistor may fix the
problem.

In the forum it says it is for the yellow LED but the manual pg 41
shows R219 connected to a green LED. The manual I have is for Rev A3_1.0,
have not seen a manual for A4.

Is this an approved procedure, will it fix it, or do I wait for some other
fix. Did not want to void the warranty.

Thanks,

Paul

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

paverbeke wrote:Is this an approved procedure, will it fix it, or do I wait for some other fix. Did not want to void the warranty.
hiya!

here's a useful link with all the changes/issues from version to version:
http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBone

feel free to make that modification. you purchased from adafruit so if have any trouble just let us know and we'll help you out. we're all warranty voiders here :)

cheers,
adafruit

paverbeke

Post by paverbeke »

Ok, thanks for the information, I will give it a try. Looking forward to trying some things out...

Also, can you point me to any documentation on Linux drivers, internals, and how they work with the BeagleBone. I have seen some posts on blinking LEDs and the A/D but looking for some more background on how this works and what resources are available through Angstrom.

Thanks,

Paul

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

paverbeke wrote:Ok, thanks for the information, I will give it a try. Looking forward to trying some things out... Also, can you point me to any documentation on Linux drivers, internals, and how they work with the BeagleBone. I have seen some posts on blinking LEDs and the A/D but looking for some more background on how this works and what resources are available through Angstrom.
the best place will be TI's (beagle bone's) site:

http://beagleboard.org/

cheers!
adafruit

paverbeke

Post by paverbeke »

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that removing R219 fixed the Ethernet problems. Ran the webserver and Cloud9 no problems. I could not get GateOne to work though... I tried https with port 443 and got a message stating there were too many re-directs? Not sure what that means. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”