Raspberry Pi Model A vs B realistically

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rahatmaini

Raspberry Pi Model A vs B realistically

Post by rahatmaini »

So I already know that the Model B has more RAM, has Ethernet, and 2 USB ports versus one on the model B. But I can easily add a USB expander and get extra ports and Ethernet if I wanted. However, I am just concerned about the RAM difference. Obviously Model B will be more powerful but realistically has anyone made something that's Model B exclusive? Or do we see the Model A going obsolete or underpowered anytime soon? Is there really any noticeable difference in things other than super intensive 3D projects, like the experience with the RPi camera module maybe having shutter lag or something?

Thanks guys, hope to be picking one of these up soon.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Raspberry Pi Model A vs B realistically

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The RasPi A is a little better suited to standalone projects where you need the oomph of an operating system, but don't need the network stack. The RasPi B is a little better suited to networked projects. You can pull it out of the bag and plug in an Ethernet cable.

As for over/underpowered, IM(ns)HO, that stopped meaning anything when the average cellphone started clocking more MIPS than the first supercomputer Dr. Cray built for the National Weather Service back in the 1970s.

ironjungle

Re: Raspberry Pi Model A vs B realistically

Post by ironjungle »

For the price difference, I would just jump to the extra mem, USB, and NIC onboard unless you really, for sure, where certain you were never going to need them.

As they say... YMMV. 8)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”