how can i have a lipo battery with my teensy for my wearable

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gdgarced

how can i have a lipo battery with my teensy for my wearable

Post by gdgarced »

I just got my 2 Teensys today and i want to use one in a tiny wearable project for a pet, I'm making a tiny matrix on the collar of a shirt and i would like to add a 3.7v lipo 150mAh battery that i got from AF but, how do i use it with the Teensy when it needs to be charged, can i cut the red and black wire from the battery and connect another red and black to the battery to keep on set with the jst-ph connecter and one set of wire to the Teensy? My wearable piece is 3x4 so it's really small.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: how can i have a lipo battery with my teensy for my wear

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you cut the female end from one of these: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1131
you can solder wire leads to the teensy and you will have a male plug for the battery. That will let you detach the battery for charging.

In general, we do not recommend using LiPo cells in projects for pets. LiPo cells can become very hot, or even catch fire if damaged.

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Thank You, I will do that. I have those extenders, i ordered them incase i would need them and I'm glad i did. The lipo will not be anywhere that the pet can get too, it will be on the back of his neck inside a piece of fabric, What would cause it to heat up by the way? I purchased a few from Adafruit and i don't want to ever have one overheat. Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What would cause it to heat up by the way?
The two most common causes of catastrophic LiPo failures are:
  • Physical damage to the battery, usually punctures, abrasions or tears in the outer covering.
    Improper charging or over discharging. All of our cells have protection circuits for over charge/discharge. You should also use a charger like our micro-lipo charger to charge at a safe rate for this small cell.
If you ever see signs of leakage or swelling, do not use the battery and dispose of it safely.

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Thank You for this info, I was a bit worried. I did get that micro charger. Thanks again for clearing this up for me. :}

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”