No Connection to FadeCandy?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
StupidlyPractical

No Connection to FadeCandy?

Post by StupidlyPractical »

I just got two FadeCandy controllers and have been going through the tutorial. The server runs fine, but when I connect the USB cable it won't make the connection in the web interface. The drivers seemed to load fine (Win7), but the power LED doesn't light with either Fadecandy when the USB cable is plugged in. I got a Gemma in the same order and the power LED comes on in that, so I'm feeling like the USB Cable is OK.

Should I see a power led when it's connected via USB?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: No Connection to FadeCandy?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't have one of these myself yet, so I have no hands-on experience with it. But let's see what we can figure out.

What do the drivers show up as in the Windows Device Manager?
Also, try running the server software as an administrator. Even if you are logged in as an admin, when you start programs in Win-7 from the desktop, some hardware access may be disabled. If you right click and "Run as Administrator", you should have full access to open device ports.

StupidlyPractical

Post by StupidlyPractical »

Thanks for the help. The two drivers are listed as just WinUSB on a win7 computer, and when the server runs it didn't make a connection. I tried un-installing and re-installing the drivers and starting the server as admin, but no luck. Tried a second Win7 computer and got the same thing. Tried letting Windows look for a newer Winusb driver, but got the "you have the best driver" message

Finally tried on a win 8.1 tablet, and when I started the server and then plugged the cable in the server prompt said it was installing drivers! After a minute or two they were installed and listed as fadecandy and fadecandy bootloader.

Not sure why Win7 failed...maybe the order of connection is critical?...but it's working now and very cool!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Wow, great that you got it going. :) Typically, Win8 is fussier than Win7 when it comes to installing drivers. I'll have to experiment with it a bit when they are back in stock.

stainless

Post by stainless »

I have two windows 7 machines and one fadecandy. Couldn't get it installed on the first machine, which has not been kept up with microsoft updates. Took it to the second machine which has had most of the updates, worked right away.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”