Connecting TSL 2561 to a Phidgets 1018_2 Interfact Kit

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ElectroManVA

Connecting TSL 2561 to a Phidgets 1018_2 Interfact Kit

Post by ElectroManVA »

1. Just starting, haven't worked the bench in many years. I want to connect the TSL 2561 to a Phidgets 1018_2 Interface Kit which I use for several other sensors, and know I NEED to convert the power from 5.0 to 3.3 for the 2561, by maybe by buying a TI-LM3940 Regulator.
2. Ground seems to be obvious, where I just connect to a common ground with each component in my configuration.
3. I see the Arduino example, connecting the 2561 to the analog inputs as described (SDA-4,SCL-5); but the 1018_2 has 8 dedicated Analog 3-pin plugs (Analog, Pwr5V, Gnd), which I don't think I can use, unless I can connect SDA to Analog, but not sure what to do with SCL (I don't see an SCL/Clock point on the 1018_2).
4. If I [can] highjack one of the 1018_2 Analog 3-pin plugs, I assume I should put the Regulator at that Pwr5V point, but do I have to worry about a 5V existing on the Analog (data) pin that I may connect directly to SDA? Still not sure what to do with the SCL.
5. The 1018_2 also has 8 digital inputs and 8 digital output posts (with respective Pwr and Gnd), which I'm not sure if I may be able to use. They have Pwr and Gnd, and assume I connect the SDA to one of the digital inputs, but still not sure what to do with SCL.
6. For any of the details above, various suggested drawings showed the use of external capacitors for stability; and drop out resistors that I think are built into the Regulator; and just not sure if I need to consider other things to prevent FRYING something!
7. Lastly, not sure at which points I need to calculate/measure the values of V=IR, to ensure the equation balances.
<end>

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Connecting TSL 2561 to a Phidgets 1018_2 Interfact Kit

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Check to make sure your interface board can handle I2C. The signal protocol uses open-drain logic rather than HIGH/LOW logic.

ElectroManVA

Post by ElectroManVA »

OK, so I got me a 5v to 3.3v V-regulator and a couple capacitors. I get some readings up on the screen but they don't fluctuate much, and nearly not at all! Will I need to get an amplifier of sorts to render stronger and more measurable/noticeable values (if so, any suggestions?)? I haven't loaded the libraries yet, will the Gain and/or Integration Time configuration make a noticeable difference to getting stronger and more measurable/noticeable values? Thank you!!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you aren't using the TSL2561 library, you aren't getting any meaningful information from the sensor at all. It only communicates digitally through the I2C pins.

arob

Post by arob »

Did you ever have success with this? I would be very interested in the same thing, trying to connect the TSL2561 to a Phidget. How do you plan to load the libraries? I am hoping to integrate this with Labview...

Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”