Can I use the Adafruit USB-RS232 SP-880 cable with a custom

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
LightHeartHuntress

Can I use the Adafruit USB-RS232 SP-880 cable with a custom

Post by LightHeartHuntress »

I purchased the this cable for my POV 3 https://www.adafruit.com/products/18. I now have a project from school to program an 18M2 on a custom PICAXE PCB.
PICAXE 2.JPG
PICAXE 2.JPG (44.09 KiB) Viewed 490 times
PICAXE 1.JPG
PICAXE 1.JPG (39.23 KiB) Viewed 490 times
Can I use this cable to program the PICAXE 18M2? I am tempted to try it because I assume that the MCC 7805CT voltage regulator will protect the board components and chips from the 10V from the cable.

The cables we are using have to kept at school but I can bring the pcb home. I went to purchase the official PICAXE cable but they have a different connector http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/Cables/P ... oad-Cable/.

Any advice would be appreciated.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Can I use the Adafruit USB-RS232 SP-880 cable with a cus

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

LightHeartHuntress wrote:I am tempted to try it because I assume that the MCC 7805CT voltage regulator will protect the board components and chips from the 10V from the cable.
No, it won't. The +/- 10V is on the RS232 signal lines. I know nothing about your PICAXE board. You will have to find some documentation to determine if it can tolerate RS232 signals.

I don't see anything like a MAX232 level converter, so I'm tempted to say that you can't use that cable. On the other hand, it would be pretty dumb to put a DB9 connector on a board that can't handle it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. You'll have to find the PICAXE documentation.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”