ChipKit

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sfugarino

ChipKit

Post by sfugarino »

You guys sale a chipKit board, and while some of the Arduino libraries you publish work out of the box with chipKit, some don't. So far, I've gotten most everything I've tried to work, I had some issues with the ultimate GPS module code. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. The chipKit boards are great little boards and they deserve some attention by both Adafruit and Sparkfun. Furthermore, there are some smaller chipKit boards that Microchip sales that are quite powerful, i.e. the Fubarino mini and Fubarino SD. Anyhow, please start adding support for these boards, It would take minimum effort.

Franklin97355

Re: ChipKit

Post by Franklin97355 »

Anyhow, please start adding support for these boards, It would take minimum effort.
Since this is all open source you may want to publish the work you have done so far so you can help others. Adafruit may sell a product but the manufacturer should be the primary source of information and support. Have you tried the Microchip site for help?

sfugarino

Post by sfugarino »

I got the code for both the IMU and GPS to work with minimum changes. Basically, for the GPS, other than not using SoftSerial and the timer interrupt routine the your code works nicely. Still working on the timer interrupt. The IMU code has even less changes.

Change any string literals used in functions from

F("string") to just ("string")

I'm actually using the Pololu IMU library with the Adafruit 9DOF IMU because of the DCM. That code is derived from the ArduIMU code, and runs as is when using a Adafruit 9DOF IMU with Arduino.

I'm a software developer with 20 years experience playing with code, so I'll eventually figure it out. But you guys could help other people out. It's an open source community, not open Arduino. Just my two cents.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

It's an open source community, not open Arduino. Just my two cents.

True, and the source Adafruit has published is open source but I don't think anywhere it is written that a manufacturer has to support every hardware platform. As you found out not all compilers use the same syntax and not all micros have the same features. Would you rather have many cool and useful hardware widgets or a couple of widgets with software that runs on all the micros ( and RasPi, BBB, Mac, PC, Amiga.....OK I'll stop now, sorry)?

sfugarino

Post by sfugarino »

Ok, I'll give you credit, most of the code you release is fairly easy to port. I'm just saying, you code should be as portable as possible. It's when you write to controller specific registers that make it hard. In a lot of cases it maybe optimal optimal, but isn't necessary.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I hear what you are saying, just not sure how easy that is considering micros sometimes need direct access to make up for lack of speed and memory. Just to be clear, I am not associated with the Adafruit team, just a forum user.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”