Gemma - "is not functioning" on upload

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
steelisreal

Gemma - "is not functioning" on upload

Post by steelisreal »

I recently purchased a Gemma from Adafruit and I am having difficulties uploading, receiving through the Ardunio IDE: "avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning." I have gone through the related forum posts and have tried to include the information that was asked for there.

I am running Windows 8 (after giving up on getting it to work in Ubuntu)

I downloaded a package of the Arduino IDE which provides avrdude 5.11 and an avrdude.conf with suggested delay speeds for ATtiny85 from the following: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide

I downloaded and installed the signed USBtiny drivers from https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers and Windows appears to recognize the device. I restarted after this.

The following is what I get when I attempt to upload (verbosity is turned on):

Code: Select all

C:\Users\steelisreal\Arduino\windows\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\steelisreal\Arduino\windows\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pattiny85 -cusbtiny -Uflash:w:C:\Users\steelisreal\AppData\Local\Temp\build3051805650127933651.tmp\wizzard.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\steelisreal\Arduino\windows\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : lpt1
         Using Programmer              : usbtiny
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f
         AVR Part                      : ATtiny85
         Chip Erase delay              : 400000 us
         PAGEL                         : P00
         BS2                           : P00
         RESET disposition             : possible i/o
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    12     4    0 no        512    4      0  4000  4500 0xff 0xff
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6    32    0 yes      8192   64    128 30000 30000 0xff 0xff
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          2    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
         Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec

avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

avrdude done.  Thank you.
Thank you for reading this :-)

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Gemma - "is not functioning" on upload

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you pressing reset on the Gemma to start the bootloader prior to upload?

How does the Gemma appear in Device Manager? It should appear as a USBtinyISP under LibUSB-Win32 devices

steelisreal

Post by steelisreal »

adafruit_support_rick wrote: Are you pressing reset on the Gemma to start the bootloader prior to upload?
That was the problem! I needed to upload while the red light as still flashing from hitting reset. There is a small window that you have to catch.
adafruit_support_rick wrote: How does the Gemma appear in Device Manager? It should appear as a USBtinyISP under LibUSB-Win32 devices
libusb-win32 devices -> USBtiny

Thank you so much for the help!

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

No problem. Glad you got it working!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”