Pro Trinket Not Running Code When Powered by Battery

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chasirish

Pro Trinket Not Running Code When Powered by Battery

Post by chasirish »

I have a 5v Pro Trinket with a Lipo/Lion charger backpack attached to it. The code runs fine when attached to usb, but when I plug in the Lion battery, The Pro Trinket flashes the orange LED 4 times and then doesn't run the code.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pro Trinket Not Running Code When Powered by Battery

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The 5v Trinket is designed to run at 16MHz, and the ATmega328P is only rated to run at that speed from supply voltages of 4.5v or higher. Running from a lower voltage counts as overclocking.

Most ATmega328Ps overclock without any complaints, but a few won't. You may have one of the few.

Double check the battery voltage to make sure it isn't even lower than you expect (3.7v to 4.2v overclocks better than 3.3v).

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

Thanks for your help, the battery is giving off around 4.14 volts, I figured out the problem though. The back pack has 3 pins and I connected it to the trinket with the first three on the top right side. The pins of the back pack are Battery, Ground and 5V, but on the trinket, they were connected to Battery-Battery, Ground-Ground, but 5V-Bus. When I connected the 5V on the backpack to the 5V on the trinket, the code ran just fine. I'm a bit confused though because I was under the impression that it's supposed to be soldered to the first 3 trinket pins because of the pictures I saw on the site. Maybe that only works with the 3V version?

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. could you post a photo of how you have things connected please?

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

According to the Pro Trinket pin out, the bus pin only receives 5v if usb is plugged in

Here are pictures, but it's not of my project. They're still in the same arrangement though
adafruitforum.jpg
adafruitforum.jpg (994.43 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

adafruit_support_mike

The BUS pin is connected to the USB 5v line. It only gets power when the Pro Trinket is being powered from the USB connector.

The backpack takes power to charge the LiPo from the BUS pin. The power that goes to the Pro Trinket goes through the BAT pin.

There are some connection problems with the boards shown in the photos above though: several of the solder joints on the Pro Trinket look like they aren't making a good connection to the PCB, and it looks like the backpack pins haven't been soldered at all. Pin header has to be soldered, and the solder has to make a good electrical connection between the pin and the PCB.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”