Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board Questions

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwmilo

Re: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board Questions

Post by dwmilo »

I understand looping a wire is not reliable ( I should have just left it off to leave out confusion) the #1 input is not what is giving me trouble, It's powering the unit. I don't need to solder #1 input to see that the unit is not powering up. As I said in my previous post, the unit will not power up or mount vis USB to computer. It just heats up. The light on the Audio Board will not go on anymore. I'm pretty sure the board is defective and I need your company to send me a new one.

Is there a phone number I can call instead of having to wait 12 hours for every response?

Thank you.

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Here is a picture of the soldered joint. It's still not working. The batteries and board just start getting hot now. I can't leave the power on for that long because I don't want an explosion. Please send me another board.
Attachments
All soldered joints
All soldered joints
Sound Board3.jpg (436.22 KiB) Viewed 922 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't need to solder #1 input to see that the unit is not powering up. As I said in my previous post, the unit will not power up or mount vis USB to computer. It just heats up.
Overheating circuits are often due to a short circuit somewhere. In that case ALL connections are suspect.
Here is a picture of the soldered joint. It's still not working.
All of you solder joints appear to be cold joints. The speaker terminal soldering has not flowed at all onto the solder pads. Please read through this guide and touch up your soldering: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Does the board power up if you disconnect the speaker?

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

When I disconnect everything including the speakers, the board still does not work and overheats. It will not mount on my computer via USB, again it just starts to get really warm within 10-20 seconds. I have to disconnect it from any and all power sources because I'm worried it will just fry.

Please let me know how to get a replacement.

Thank you

adafruit_support_bill

Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Thank you for your help. I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Please let me know if any part of this process should be changed:

For the Audio Fx Board, I'm powering it with a 9V battery (as seen in the previous posted picture)
I solder the RED to the VIN and the BLACK to the GRD
I solder the speakers to the L and R, I only need 1 speaker so I will only solder 1 amp to either the L or R
I solder a wire from #1 to my switch
I am also powering a light from the same battery, which is being connected straight to the battery connector wire (as seen in the previous posted picture).

I'm not sure what could have happened, but is there anything I should be aware of?

Thank you!

adafruit_support_bill

For the Audio Fx Board, I'm powering it with a 9V battery (as seen in the previous posted picture)
DO NOT use a 9v battery. The board is designed to be powered from 3 to 5.5VDC https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... d/overview
We recommend 3xAA or 3xAAA: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... owering-it

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Good to know. The problem is the AAA battery housing does not fit inside the project I'm doing.

What do I need to power the board and the LED (not at the same time) keeping it as small as possible?

Whats going to happen is, I press the switch, it activates the LED, I let go, the LED goes off and the sound plays from port #1.

Can I use the Lipo Loy backpack? and Would that be all I would need to add?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2124

It's pretty simple but I don't know how to keep everything small.

adafruit_support_bill

LiPo packs put out about 3.7v and are compatible with the FX board.

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

So I can plug one of these lipos directly into the Audio FX board I have, without needing a backpack correct?
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1578

How would I recharge it?

adafruit_support_bill

The battery has a jst connector compatible with the FX board.
This is the recommended charger for to 500mAh battery: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1304

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The battery has a jst connector compatible with the FX board.
This is the recommended charger for to 500mAh battery: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1304
Ok so I just received the replacement Audio FX board. I bought a 1200mah battery from you as well. I asked you specifically how to power this board, you said that the battery can hook into the Audio FX board, but as you can see in the picture it does not hook into the USB connector. I'm getting a bit frustrated, please let me know how to power this board with the lipo I just bought.
20150204_1454282.jpg
20150204_1454282.jpg (349.83 KiB) Viewed 845 times

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Ah never mind, I see in the tutorial that I have to solder the connector to the bottom of the board. It wasn't quite clear at first.

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Hi, I have one more question, sorry for all the questions :/

I have an On-On switch, when I push down the light turns on (which it does), and when I let go the sound should play, but it doesn't. I tested to see if the sound plays by going from the GRD to #1 and that works. So I know its something to do with the wiring. Can you take a look and let me know what the problem may be?

Thanks!

PS, not sure why the 1st pic is double.
far.jpg
far.jpg (506.91 KiB) Viewed 828 times
far.jpg
far.jpg (506.91 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Attachments
close.jpg
close.jpg (513.56 KiB) Viewed 828 times

Strech007

Post by Strech007 »

Hi
I just want to know
How to get a simple 5mm led to light up when the sound fx board plays a sound
I want to use this board for a movie blaster gun/weapon
So I need the led light to work as I trigger the sound

Can you explain how to do this in the simplest terms
I'm no expert in coding boards or anything I'm just looking for a simple method to make the 5mm led work using the sound fx board

Thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”