Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board Questions

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwmilo

Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board Questions

Post by dwmilo »

Hi, I am looking for a soundboard that will trigger sounds. "The Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board" sounds like it will do what I need it to do, I just have a few questions. But first let me tell you what I want to achieve. I will have about 10 sounds that will be triggered by one button. I want to sounds to play AFTER I have released the button. i.e. I press and HOLD the button, nothing happens, I release the button, the sound then plays. Every time I press and release the button, the next sound plays. After all of the sounds have been cycled, it goes back to the first one.

My questions,
1. will the "Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board" accomplish this?
2. I'm new to this, so will it have adequate instructions for me to program it? If not, where can I get instructions?
3. Will this work on a MAC?
4. Also, can it trigger an LED light?

Thank you!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board Questions

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Audio FX board will do most of what you want. Only it triggers on contact instead of on release. You may be able to get it to work on release by using a normally closed switch.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... ound-board
4) Play Next Trigger - have up to 10 files play one after the other by naming them TnnNEXT0.WAV thru TnnNEXT9.OGG. Will start with #0 and each one on every momentary button press until it gets through all of them, then go back to #0

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it in 2 different places. Sorry.

Is there a momentary switch that activates two different circuits? i.e. I press down, the LED light activates, I release, the sound activates?

Thank you!

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Also, where on the board would I connect and LED light?

adafruit_support_bill

The FX board is primarily designed to trigger sounds on a button press. It is great when that is all you need to do, but to do more you would need to add a microcontroller. You don't need anything super-powerful. Something like a Pro-Trinket could monitor your button presses and releases, control the LEDs and send a pulse to the FX board whenever you want to play the next sound.

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

I would rather not get another board. I just bought the audio fx board 16mb. Can I just solder an LED to the BUS of the audio board and put a resister on it? Or maybe solider the LED on the lines of the power cable going to the battery holder? A switch is going to control it anyways, so I don't need anything fancy. Just a way to power the LEDs.

FYI, Im on a Mac, I know nothing about programming, and the Trinket Pro seems like I now have to have a PC and learn coding. I don't mind learning how to code, but there is nothing on your site (from what I can see) that gives basic instructions on how to program this chip. Naming files on the audio board to provide a function, I can do, but beyond that totally a mystery to me.

Thanks for your input. I'm learning :]

adafruit_support_bill

Or maybe solider the LED on the lines of the power cable going to the battery holder? A switch is going to control it anyways, so I don't need anything fancy. Just a way to power the LEDs.
If you just want the leds on while the circuit is powered, that will work fine. For most leds, a resistor in the 330ohm range will keep the current to a safe level.
https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-leds

You can program the Trinket from your Mac. You do not need a PC, but you do need at least a basic knowledge of coding. The Pro Trinket is pretty much a down-sized Arduino, so most of the Arduino programming lessons are applicable
https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=arduino%20lesson

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Great I will look those up. thank you.

Defacto

Post by Defacto »

Is it possible to trigger all sounds at the same time?
Is it possible to push one button consecutively and the sound will always play from begin?
And is there any latency when you pusch triggers?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Defacto wrote:Is it possible to trigger all sounds at the same time?
No.
Defacto wrote:Is it possible to push one button consecutively and the sound will always play from begin?
That's the default behavior.
Defacto wrote:And is there any latency when you pusch triggers?
About 1/10th of a second, which is within the realm of 'instant response' for human perception.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Hi, I bought the Audio FX Board 16mb in December 2014. I thought I was having problems with it but it ended up working. Well, I finally came back to my project and low and behold, the board does not power up. It just gets really warm. I'm powering it with a USB battery. I have tried other batteries and cables and... nothing. I tried to mount it via USB and my computer says it's taking too much power, again heating up and will not mount. What could be the problem? Sounds like this is a defective board. Can you guys send me a new one?

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Please post photos of your soldering and connections to the board.

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Here are a couple pictures for you... I didn't solder the wire going to #1 because I just wanted to test it. Everything else has been soldered. I followed the tutorial online saying the RED wire from the power source should to to the VIN and black to the GRD. I have tried to power it with a USB battery, this picture shows a 9v setup which is ultimately how I want it due to space issues.
Closeup of solider joints
Closeup of solider joints
soundboard1.jpg (310.74 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
Main project and cabling
Main project and cabling
soundboard2.jpg (591.53 KiB) Viewed 1660 times

adafruit_support_bill

I didn't solder the wire going to #1 because I just wanted to test it.
It is really not possible to test without reliable connections. Solder is best. A hook-style clip probe is second-best. But a wire looped through the hole is not a reliable connection.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”