Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board NOT MOUNTING

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwmilo

Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board NOT MOUNTING

Post by dwmilo »

Hi, I just bought the 16mb version of your Audio FX Sound Board. I've tried mounting it on a Mac and a PC and it's not showing up. The RED led over ACT blinks once as I plug it in, the green light remains solid on. So I don't need drivers right? Seems like a DOA board. Let me know what to do.

Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board NOT MOUNTING

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

It should appear as a flash drive - no drivers necessary.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement sound board

dwmilo

Post by dwmilo »

Actually I found it was the usb cable. This cable works fine with other devices but not the audio sound board. I was able to get a different usb cable (exactly the same type) to work.

You may also want to note that this sound board is very quirky on a Mac. I had to restart about 6 times because it kept freezing on me. I eventually got everything on the board and works fine though.

adafruit_support_rick

Glad to hear you got it working!

I haven't had any problems with it on a Mac. Maybe your other USB cable is a little marginal, too?

futureme

Post by futureme »

Just received a FX Sound board. I have tried 3 different cables as well as both mac and pc. I tried to reset the unit as well. It seams to be DOA. Thoughts?

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement board

futureme

Post by futureme »

Maybe i'm just special. I received the new board (2nd one). I guess it is possible I have three bad usb cables but it just seam so unlikely. Green light comes on when I plug it in but for some reason outside of my capability (admittedly low) I can not get the FX board to show up as a drive on either my Mac or my PC. How would you go about solving this?

adafruit_support_rick

Try a different USB port. Try connecting through a USB2.0 hub. And yes, get some new cables. ;-)

futureme

Post by futureme »

I tried so hard to solve this problem on my own. I Tried 2 more new cables. Two different computers with USB 2.0. I used the reset function on the board. I went into Disk utility as well as my USB-tree. It's hard for me to believe I received two bad units but I'm stuck. Same thing as before. I get the green light when it is plugged in as well as when I power it externally. I get an ACT flash when I reset it. Should the FX board storage mount right out of the box without being externally powered? Just curious. Could I send these boards to you guys to see if I'm loosing my mind? Thoughts? Thank you for your patience and help on this.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yeah, the boards should just plug in and go.

To benchmark your USB cables, try connecting some other USB device with them. There are lots of charge-only cables out there that look exactly like a regular USB cable, but don't have any data wires.

RogerRobot

Post by RogerRobot »

I was having all these same failures as well (on a Mac too). It turned out that both of the cables I was using were power-only. With a good data cable (from a cell phone) it works great, and shows up on the Mac's desktop right away.

Also note, once the files are loaded on to the FX board via the good data cable, that cable cannot be used to power and test the board. You have to go back to the power-only cable so that the board does not startup in USB mode.

mick1948

Post by mick1948 »

Hi folks, Received new adafruit soundboard Was able to download demo Files to it, Try to download some new WAV files And it Now says Memory is full. It won't allow me to download any more to it.I am going to get this Brilliant gadget up and running.Any ideas
Mick

adafruit_support_rick

"Deleting" files doesn't necessarily get rid of them. With the board attached to your computer, try emptying the trash.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”