GEMMA not responding

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
macfreak

GEMMA not responding

Post by macfreak »

Hi!
I acquired a few GEMMAs to bring my students to microcontroller projects. Right now, I'm testing them out but I ran into some trouble with one device. When it's on USB power, the red LED won't blink, it just shimmers redish. Pressing the RESET button won't help either. I tried it on multiple platforms (Mac & Linux) with the same result.
WHen I try to flash it, I always get the "Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xC9F).

Any help or hint would be appreciated! Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: GEMMA not responding

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That one may have a bad bootloader.

This page in the Trinket tutorial shows how to restore the bootloader on all our ATtiny85 devices:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

Robobergz

Post by Robobergz »

Anyway to get some instructions in laymen terms? :) I am a noob I get it but the instructions imply more knowledge than I currently have.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you're using a current version of the Arduino IDE (1.6.3 as of April 2015), download the 1.5.x version of the Trinkeloader sketch and put it in your Arduino sketchbook.

Get an Arduino Uno and connect some of its pins to pads on the Gemma, as described toward the top of the tutorial page.

Launch the Arduino IDE, open the trinketloader sketch, and connect a USB cable between your computer and the Arduino Uno.

Compile and upload the trinketloader sketch to the Uno, then open the Serial Monitor. Make sure its baudrate is set to 9600.

When the Arduino tells you to press 'g', push the Gemma's reset button and then hit 'g' on the keyboard.

The Uno should do the rest.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”