Arduino Yun Wifi connection problems

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
malonkit

Arduino Yun Wifi connection problems

Post by malonkit »

I cannot connect to arduino.local to configure the Yun wifi network.

My first attempt at setting up the board configuration proceeded well initially up to the configuration saved and restarting page but afterwards I was unable to connect to the configured Yun network from the browser using the new network name. So I tried to repeat the setup by pressing the Yun's wifi reset button for 10 sec to revert to the factory default settings. Now the Mac OS X Yosemite Network dialog box recognizes the Yun Wifi network (Arduino Yun-BANNED) and the status report is CONNECTED with a description of "Wi-Fi is connected to Arduino Yun-BANNED and has the IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX". However, when I enter arduino.local into the browser or the IP address a "safari can't open the web page" appears. I have rebooted the computer without any effect.

I found many reports on Google search of Yun wifi connection issues but of a different nature.

How can I proceed?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Arduino Yun Wifi connection problems

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Try connecting to the Yun's reported IP address rather than 'arduino.local'.

malonkit

Post by malonkit »

Thank you for the rapid response.

I did attempt to connect in the browser to the reported IP address but the same outcome.

I also since then have loaded the Yun serial terminal sketch via USB and run the fail-safe-mode to restore the root(which had the user configured name!) to the factory default. The terminal now displays as the root root@(none):/#. I disconnected and powered up again to reboot. However, now the Arduino Yun appears as a separate network in the Network window's left side with a status of "not configured" with a "Configuration" field pull down menu labeled "default" and empty fields labeled "Telephone number" "Account Name" and "Password". On clicking the "connect" button a dialog window appears saying--"Your connection failed because the communication device is unavailable. Make sure its connected to your computer and try reconnecting". My Yun board has the green led labeled ON glowing and the USB labeled white LED glowing.

Do you know what version of openwork is installed on the units that adafruit ships? Is it an old version that has been reported to have Wifi connection problems?

Any other suggestions?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We get the Yun from Arduino.cc, so ours will have whatever version of the OS is shipping on theirs.

I'm a Mac/Unix guy, so I'm not as familiar with the network connection panels in Windows, but having a pane ask for a phone number sounds odd. I'd expect that from a modem config panel, but not a wifi connection.

Let me see if any of the Windows folks have suggestions.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

I would try checking and asking on the Arduino Yun forums: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=93.0 It's odd to see root@(none) in the serial terminal, since that might mean there's no hostname defined for the Yun. This could be throwing off accessing the Yun by name (arduino.local) since the service that provides the mDNS / bonjour name needs to have a hostname set on the board (typically it's 'arduino'). When I've used the Yun and reset its wifi config by holding the WLAN reset button, it will revert back to using a hostname of arduino. It sounds like the reset procedure over the serial port might not have worked, or got rid of the hostname for some reason.

Also one thing, when you connect to the Yun's wireless network and see an IP address remember that's the IP address of your computer and not of the Yun. When the Yun acts as as a wireless network it has its own special IP address. The docs from Arduino aren't super clear on this, but it looks like it assigns itself the address 192.168.240.1. When connected to the Yun's wireless network and the http://arduino.local/ address isn't working, try accessing http://192.168.240.1/ instead like the Arduino page mentions.

malonkit

Post by malonkit »

I used the address 192.168.240.1 rather than the address listed in the "Network" window of my MacOSX Yosemite, and was able to connect to the arduino yun welcome page. So thank you for the suggestion!

The Yosemite Network window states "Wi-Fi is connected to Arduino Yun-BANNED(X= an alphanumeric) and has the IP address 192.168.240.1XX(X= an alphanumeric)". It seems unlikely that this is the IP address of my computer given the similarity. However, this address consistently fails to connect.

Thanks again.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Oh good to hear accessing by the direct IP of the Yun works.

Yeah the IP you're seeing is actually the IP addres the Yun is assigning to your computer. Remember you're connecting to the Yun's wifi network and it's the controller for everything on the network so it needs to assigns things that connect (like your computer) an IP address. Kind of like when you connect to your home router's wifi network and your router assigns your computer an IP adress--the Yun in this case is acting just like your router.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”