Pro Trinket Powering Neopixel Strip

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JoshuAc00k

Pro Trinket Powering Neopixel Strip

Post by JoshuAc00k »

Can I power a 30 LED Neopixel strip by connecting it to the "BUS" output of a 5V Pro Trinket that is being powered by a 9V battery?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Pro Trinket Powering Neopixel Strip

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The BUS pin only has power when the Pro Trinket is powered by USB.
And a standard 9v battery does not have the capacity or current delivering capability to power 30 neopixels.
What is it you are trying to build? We might be able to suggest a more appropriate power strategy.

JoshuAc00k

Post by JoshuAc00k »

I'm trying to just control a 1 m strip of 30 Neopixel LEDs with a trinket pro that needs to be mobile. But I'm trying to keep cost and size down by using one set of batteries to power everything. Could I use 4 recharchable hydride batteries to produce a little under 5 volts to power both the neopixels and the pro trinket?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

4 NiMH cells is fine. Just make sure you don't accidentally stick alkalines in there.

If you want to get fancy, you can install a LiPoly backpack atop the Trinket Pro, then power the NeoPixels from the + and – pads on the underside of the board.

JoshuAc00k

Post by JoshuAc00k »

pburgess wrote:4 NiMH cells is fine. Just make sure you don't accidentally stick alkalines in there.

If you want to get fancy, you can install a LiPoly backpack atop the Trinket Pro, then power the NeoPixels from the + and – pads on the underside of the board.
If I used the NiMH batteries, would they charge if I powered the trinket through the USB the with them still attached?

adafruit_support_bill

They would probably accumulate some charge. But that is not really a safe way to do it. NiMH cells are not generally fire-hazards like Lithium cells, but improper charging will shorten the life of the cell.

JoshuAc00k

Post by JoshuAc00k »

Ok, so I could power a Pro Trinket and a 1 m strip of 30 Neopixel LED with 4 NiMH batteries by attaching the two parts to the batteries separately? Could I power two strips of 15 Neopixels along with the Pro Trinket (in case I want to cut the strip in half)? Also, how long would the batteries be able to last? Thank you for all your help.

adafruit_support_bill

You can power them separately. Just be sure to connect all the grounds together.

Run-time depends on the type of battery and the lighting patterns on your pixels. Typical AA NiMH cells these days are rated for about 2000mAh. That would power 60 pixels all going full-intensity for about 1/2 hour. Most applications don't call for all leds to be continuously operating at full intensity, to your actual run-time should be longer.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”