Pi B+ and Stepper Motor HAT

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vrhager

Pi B+ and Stepper Motor HAT

Post by vrhager »

I am working on a project with a raspberry pi (B+) requiring 2 stepper motors (nema 17). I purchased the Adafruit Stepper Motor HAT (product #2348), soldered it, and downloaded the Python library. The green light is indicating that the HAT is receiving voltage (5V). I am connected to the pi via ssh. When I run the stepper motor example python code, I can see the printouts on my screen, but see no results in terms of motor movement. I am by far no expert at this, just looking to troubleshoot and get not only one but both motors communicating with the HAT and working.

Thanks in advance!

Franklin97355

Re: Pi B+ and Stepper Motor HAT

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it? Also which steppers did you get and how are you powering them?

vrhager

Post by vrhager »

Attached are 3 images - soldering of each side of the board, and the motor/board/pi/power all connected together.

I am using Nema 17 stepper motors. They are currently powered through the Adafruit LiPo battery charger, which is connected to DC via the mini USB (white cord in the image of the whole setup). This was all I had on hand when I found out that I had to provide the power to the motors.

(aside: I had used the RaspiRobot Board V2 previously, which powers the motors. However, it can only control 1 stepper motor, and I need to use 2). That's when I came upon the DC/motor stepper HAT.

As always, thank you for your help!
Attachments
Soldering, side 2
Soldering, side 2
IMG_0543.JPG (688.96 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Whole Setup
Whole Setup
FullSizeRender_2.jpg (458.18 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Soldering, side 1
Soldering, side 1
FullSizeRender.jpg (404.63 KiB) Viewed 611 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There is no battery attached to the charger. You can't run a motor from the charger alone.

Also, NEMA 17 only tells is what the bolt pattern on the faceplate is. We need to know the electrical specifications of the motor.

https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-stepper-motors/faq

vrhager

Post by vrhager »

It worked!! Thank you so much! I'm a complete novice at this. Once I plugged the battery in and ran the example code, the motor did just what it was supposed to do. This is great :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”