pro trinket longevity

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
openLG

pro trinket longevity

Post by openLG »

I am using the pro trinket for a project that is powered continuously with 9v from a wall wart. How long will the pro trinket last? I suspect the LED will burn out first?
Also, I had removed the power for a few days, and when I powered up again, I needed to upload the code again. Most times, if I disconnect the power briefly it seems the programming in the pro trinket has been preserved. Is there something I'm missing about how the pro trinket retains its program?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: pro trinket longevity

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I am using the pro trinket for a project that is powered continuously with 9v from a wall wart.
What else do you have attached to the Trinket? The processor by itself should go for many years. If you load down GPIO pins or the voltage regulator with excessive current, the life expectancy will go down.
I suspect the LED will burn out first?
That is doubtful. The LED is running at a fraction of its rated output. I'd expect it to fade to half brightness over a few decades - maybe.
Also, I had removed the power for a few days, and when I powered up again, I needed to upload the code again.
That is unusual. The program is loaded in Flash memory. Unless the Flash gets corrupted somehow, it should always boot up running the last thing loaded.

openLG

Post by openLG »

Thanks for the speedy response. It's very helpful.
The project is a doorbell that has 3 servos moving 3 bells. The only input is the button press to pin 4, using the internal pull-up resistor. The outputs at pins 3,5 and 6 are to control the servos. The servos have their separate power supply.
I might last another 25 yrs if I'm lucky. How many times will I need to replace the pro trinket because it has died ahead of me? (I can stock up now!)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Barring any damaging ESD or power-line spike, I'd expect the Trinket to outlast the servos. But it never hurts to have a spare.

openLG

Post by openLG »

Thank you! Much appreciated. I'll have a couple of spare pro trinkets on hand. Already have extra servos.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”