Suggestion RE: Headers

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
binko

Suggestion RE: Headers

Post by binko »

Hi folks,

I just had a conversation I thought I'd pass on: it's not a complaint, but does inspire a suggestion.

A friend was showing me his project and he had chosen an clone of the Nano (Sainsmart I think). I asked him why and mentioned your Pro Trinket since it's actually less expensive and smaller and would do everything he wanted. His answer surprised me - it was because you don't solder on the headers. His hands tend to shake and he just didn't want to overcome that hassle every time he started a new project. So he bought about a dozen of those clones and just uses them as needed.

Now, I think I see your reasoning for the separate headers (correct me if I'm wrong):
1) They give the end-user the ability to use the product in smaller (& low profile) settings
2) They allow for choice of headers (i.e. angled, etc.)
3) They help you keep the costs low by reducing the labor involved in the product (perhaps it's not possible to pick/place headers? I don't know).
4) You are encouraging people to learn to solder & get their hands "dirty" in making their project.

I get all of these and perhaps there are more.

But: there are people out there who have higher hurdles when it comes to precision work, and you may be losing them as customers. My mother-in-law has one arm - I'm pretty sure she could wire up a breadboard, but probably couldn't solder.

So, here's the suggestion: could you offer an add-on service that will solder on headers for a fee? So, if the Pro Trinket is $9.99 there could be an option to have headers soldered on for $3/header? That would still be < $20 and it would open up your market without compromising any of the goals above.

Just my $.02
Bill

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Suggestion RE: Headers

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thank you for the suggestion. I will forward it to the products team.

binko

Post by binko »

I'm not always good about coming back to say thank you, but the new addition of the Huzzah with the headers pre-soldered is a wonderful addition.

Thank you for listening to us on this. The ATMakers.org users will benefit greatly.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You are welcome. I will forward your thanks to the products team.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”