Getting the most out of Ardu and RPi with LiDAR

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
carfreemaine

Getting the most out of Ardu and RPi with LiDAR

Post by carfreemaine »

Hello,
I am trying to find the best way to take advantage of the new "LIDAR-Lite" for 3D Mapping. The problem is the particular nature of the LiDAR requires something like an Arduino to handle the precise timings via i2C while also requiring something like an RPi to accomodate the heavy data load. As I will be mounting the LiDAR on a quadcopter, I was planning to use source code from this project on Github (https://github.com/jbeale1/Lidar) with the RPI A+ as my starting point.
Do you sell a Pi "HAT" expansion that would allow to take advantage of an an Arduino's precision with an RPi's CPU?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Getting the most out of Ardu and RPi with LiDAR

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

No, but we have the Pro Trinket (https://www.adafruit.com/products/2000), which weighs in at 2.6g.

carfreemaine

Post by carfreemaine »

That was going to be my next question as I have the Pro Trinket and both original Trinkets (in 3.3v and 5v). Is only the Pro Trinket capable of handling i2C communications?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The regular trinkets can do limited i2c (TinyWire library) as well. But communication options back to the Pi are limited. The Pro Trinket is only slightly larger, but has both a hardware serial port and SPI interfaces in addition to i2c.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”