HUZZAH SSH OSX

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aug2uag

HUZZAH SSH OSX

Post by aug2uag »

Hey all,

I just soldered together my HUZZAH, and I can get a welcome message from CoolTerm on OSX 10.9 (see pic), however, no console/terminal.

A little bit of reading indicated that Terminal app and SSH is the way to go to access the HUZZAH's Lua Interpreter.

I'm kind of going in circles trying to figure out how to SSH in to USB port baudrate 9600, and was wondering if anyone would care to send a constructive nudge my way please!

My goal is to access the Lua Interpreter, and begin writing a "Hello World!" program for the HUZZAH; and I am indifferent whether that is through Terminal, CoolTerm, or other. Any help is appreciated.
HUZZAH welcome message from CoolTerm on OSX 10.9
HUZZAH welcome message from CoolTerm on OSX 10.9
Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 5.05.44 PM.png (103.52 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: HUZZAH SSH OSX

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You don't SSH in. You just open a Serial connection: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... al-console

aug2uag

Post by aug2uag »

Mike thanks for the response. I noticed I can type commands with the Terminal options "Local Echo" checked in CoolTerm. When I did type "lua" I was expecting it to launch the interpreter, and instead there was no response (see image). I tried this with various settings in the Terminal options all resulting in the same.

When I press the reset button, I do get a message on CoolTerm, however, I am unable to send messages. There was never a message similar to "NodeMCU x.x.x build BANNED powered by Lua x.x.x". Furthermore, according to the instructions, the red light on my HUZZAH should go off, however, it stays on. When I press the reset button the red light turns off, and a blue light on the ESP8266 blinks once for approximately 50 ms & the red light goes back on. I'm using a console cable, and the black, red, green, and white cables are plugged in to the appropriate spots.

Could it be my board is fried? I did not think so because the board is responsive to the reset, and does print to CoolTerm on reset. I was hoping the issue is my utilization of CoolTerm, and not the board.
Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 12.47.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 12.47.27 AM.png (115.07 KiB) Viewed 1854 times

aug2uag

Post by aug2uag »

As an update:

I configured the Arduino IDE via instructions, and ultimately did get a warning and an exception following upload of a sample blink program:

Code: Select all

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
I checked out a couple threads on Github relating to this issue -- it seems to occur more frequently with OSX. There was a solution to add "esptools" to the Arduino IDE, however, the directory structure did not match mine (i.e. following installation of third party board packages for the Arduino IDE); and there was a more recent thread that indicated the use or indication of esptools is outdated.

I still cannot communicate with the microcontroller. A dim red light remains on, pressing GPIO0 causes the red light to be bright, and pressing reset causes the dim red light to go off; and when letting go of the reset button there's a quick blue LED on the opposite side of the unit that briefly flashed on once before the red dim light turned on again. Any help to work with the board using OSX is much appreciated.
The image shows 1) HUZZAH and configs in Arduino IDE, 2) sample code and error, 3) contents of arduinoIDE/Contents/Java/hardware in directory via Finder/GUI.
The image shows 1) HUZZAH and configs in Arduino IDE, 2) sample code and error, 3) contents of arduinoIDE/Contents/Java/hardware in directory via Finder/GUI.
Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 2.05.12 PM.png (245.97 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look at those. 800x600 images usually work best.

aug2uag

Post by aug2uag »

Thank you for your response, attached are images. Apologies to the board for the Frankenstein-ish soldering. Please let me know if other images may help.
USB Serial and Idle (i.e. dim red light is on)
USB Serial and Idle (i.e. dim red light is on)
IMG_0932.JPG (89.23 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
pressed GP1O0
pressed GP1O0
IMG_0994.JPG (132.61 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
pressed Reset
pressed Reset
IMG_0947.JPG (126.6 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

aug2uag

Post by aug2uag »

Also backside image, just in case it helps.
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG (102.37 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

adafruit_support_mike

It looks like you have some pins shorted together. You need to clean those up.

Take a look at our tutorial on soldering for information on the kind of joints you want: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering

aug2uag

Post by aug2uag »

Amazing! Thank you so very much! Works like a charm, and amazing how hearty the boards are. Much more forgiving than what appears at first sight.

I can get the sample to work on CoolTerm and the blink code works! Following your amazing instructions to upload in bootload mode gets the script to run in Arduino IDE, and I'm now wrapping my head around all this amazingness all thanks to you.
screenshot demo of wifi sample code working after adjusting solder
screenshot demo of wifi sample code working after adjusting solder
Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 12.57.55 AM.png (87.26 KiB) Viewed 1764 times

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear it's working for you. Happy hacking!

aug2uag

Post by aug2uag »

Just a heads up for anyone reading this that encounters a recurrent espcomm fail following successful comm that flashing firmware was helpful via this and this references.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”