Microcontroller

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Franklin97355

Re: Microcontroller

Post by Franklin97355 »

Contact Ting and your shield manufacturer to find out.

sk854016

Post by sk854016 »

Hey, So I have finally brought a few things together and I am afraid that it may have fried my atmega or the whole board again. I connected my pie sensor to the 5v gnd and a digital pin, my thermostat to gnd and a digital pin, last my sim900 board to the 5v and both the gnd pins on both sides of the board. Well when I was looking over my code to make sure its all squared away, I noticed that I could smell heat on my board, it was the AT MEGA chip and it was hot as could be, it even burned me slightly. Now after disconnecting everything and letting it cool, I can't upload any code and get the error message that "stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding". Did I destroy the board and what can I do to prevent this next time?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Sounds like you have a short circuit. That's a wiring problem. Can you post a picture of your wiring?

sk854016

Post by sk854016 »

Ok, so the two black wires at the bottom going through a resistor divider is to simulate the thermostat being on, the voltage is brought down to 5v through the resistors. the brown wire is the signal from the "thermostat" to a pin. the red and black wires go t the 5v and gnd of the arduino. The sim900 board, that is powered by an external 9v battery, has a double gnd connection to the breadboard and directly to the other gnd on the arduino. the yellow and white wires next to each other are tx and rx wires and the 7 and 8 pin have been assigned as a serial pins. the blue and green wires are the 5v and gnd from the pair sensor while the other yellow wire next to the brown wire at pin 3 is the signal wire from the pair sensor.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 10.33.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 10.33.24 AM.png (299.7 KiB) Viewed 331 times

adafruit_support_rick

That's a tough one. I can't see anything there which would cause your ATmega to smoke. Are you sure you didn't accidentally cross some wires at some point?
I don't know what the wiring to the SM900 board is supposed to be like. Are you sure that's correct? You may be pulling too much current through one of the GPIO pins on your Uno

sk854016

Post by sk854016 »

I have run the sim 900 by itself and it worked fine. I have also run the thermostat with the pir sensor together. All worked fine, I was just bringing the two circuits together and the chip got hot and now I can't upload any sketches.

adafruit_support_rick

Honestly, what you have looks fine to me. You must have had a temporary short circuit someplace

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”