Problems powering HUZZAH esp8266 board

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gunglefunk

Problems powering HUZZAH esp8266 board

Post by gunglefunk »

When I power the board via FTDI cable everything works as expected. I can flash firmware, upload code, run programs, etc. However, when I try to remove the FTDI cable and just power the board via batteries or bench power supply nothing seems to work. I hook power up to VBat and ground to ground but nothing seems to happen. The bench power supply shows a drop from 5v to ~1.3v and there's no indication that anything is running (no LED flashy, program doesn't appear to execute, etc.) I bought 5 of these boards at once and they all seem to exhibit the same behavior, so I seriously doubt it's a hardware problem. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Problems powering HUZZAH esp8266 board

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections for one setup and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

gunglefunk

Post by gunglefunk »

As it turns out, a couple things were wrong on my end. The battery pack I was using most likely wasn't able to supply enough current for startup, and my power supply was set wrong. Once I figured out that part everything started working as expected.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”