No lua prompt on huzzah 8826 breakout

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Linor

No lua prompt on huzzah 8826 breakout

Post by Linor »

I've been trying my Huzzah ESP8266 breakout but am unable to get the Lua prompt. I've connected two different USB to serial converters (one sparkfun and another ftdi based one), and at 9600 baud non of them gives me a prompt. After connecting with 115k2 I receive the following error:

Fatal exception (0):
epc1=0x40229888, epc2=0x00000000, epc3=0x00000000, excvaddr=0x4026b530, depc=0x00000000

I've tried various things, including reflashing NodeMCU, the original AT firmware, using both serial devices and from Windows (using the nanomcu flasher) and OSX (using esptool), but all lead to the same exception as shown above. I've checked both input and regulator voltage and they are properly showing 5v and 3.3v respectively. Is there something else I can try to diagnose this problem, or could the ESP8266 have an issue?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: No lua prompt on huzzah 8826 breakout

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of the module, showing your soldering and wiring

Linor

Post by Linor »

I'm having a hard time getting my phone to focus from so close up, let me know if you want me to retake some of them.

http://imgur.com/a/8JSqM

enderjon

Post by enderjon »

I am also having this problem. No issues with the LED blinker, but when I try to use the wifi stuff, after one, two, or three "." of attempting to connect, I get exception(0). I can provide the stack if necessary. Do I need to provide power beyond the FTDI connector? I tested on both a macbook air and a macbook pro-- the latter should comfortably supply 500mA of current at 5V, so I'd be surprised if that were it, but I'd love to know what's wrong!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

@enderjon, please start your own thread so you don't confuse the help we are trying to give Linor.

enderjon

Post by enderjon »

It appears that my problem was that I took the quick route and got my FTDI dongle from Amazon (PRIME FTW), rather than Adafruit-- the dongle needs to supply a LOT of current during wifi connections, and couldn't do it. When I hooked up a 500mA 9V supply to the BATT pin (and GND), everything worked like a charm. I wonder if this is OP's problem as well?

Cheers,
Jon

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

@Jon - Looks like linor has an external supply connected.

@linor - Thanks for the pictures. That's nice work. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement HUZZAH

Linor

Post by Linor »

Thanks Rick, will do that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”