WiFi Temp to Iphone
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

WiFi Temp to Iphone

by bovine0001 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:27 pm

Before I get to invested in parts, I am hoping folks can let me know if this project is possible or not. I am the noob of this technology, having not played with stuff for about 20 years.

The searchs on this topic thus far have lead me to either high level Iphone programs I can not write or direct connections between ?X-Bees? and would not meet the goals.

The goal is to have a temp probe in a piece of meat on the grill or in my brew kettle on hy homebrew stand, connected to the arduino that could connect through WiFi and alert me through my iphone. This way I can run around the house and feel I can reliably know when my food or beer has come to the right temperature, and not miss the beep or get out of range of the receiver like I have on my traditional wireless thermometer.

I feel the board, WiFi shield and temp probes are readily available, but I don't know whether there are any apps on the iphone to meet this purpose. There are Arduino Apps of course, but I really don't know if they can basically act as the alert station I need.
bovine0001

Re: WiFi Temp to Iphone

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Others have leveraged mainstream iPhone apps for this sort of thing. For example, your wi-fi-connected arduino might access Twitter to tweet you the updates.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: WiFi Temp to Iphone

by bovine0001 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Driverblock,

Thanks. Interesting idea. I have never investigated Twitter, seeing as I am either reclusive or simply hate the invasiveness of Social networking Apps/Software.

....A quick Google later and I find that Twitter can send texts and I found this http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/TwitterLibrary.

Thanks again

Reclusive Geek away!!!
bovine0001