fitting FFT into Arduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Re: fitting FFT into Arduino

by didier on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Your site is so rich! Thanks Limor. :wink:
didier

by adrian on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 am

I slapped some code together a while back to get FFT working on an AVR: http://www.adrianlombard.com/physical-c ... -fft-code/
adrian

by didier on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 pm

You may have a look at the new coming projects on Arduinoos, starting with MicroLS, a micro light show. http://didier.longueville.free.fr/arduinoos/?p=2910
A GLCD based application will be published next :wink:
didier

by didier on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:09 am

FFT post have been enriched with some complementary information related to frequency (power) spectra
http://didier.longueville.free.fr/arduinoos/?p=3272
didier

by adafruit on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:02 pm

hi didier, you've posted a lot about this library in the forms, but is it on github? is it open source? please post a link!
adafruit

by didier on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Limor, please check my code request policy http://didier.longueville.free.fr/arduinoos/?page_id=896. This my interpretation of code sharing : "a few words from the claimant for some bytes of code". In this way, I have a good understanding of the techno trends and I have a better knowledge about the visitors or Arduinoos.

Starting from there, I am very much interested in getting your opinion on that (Then we would be out of the scope of this post :? ). I would be honored by an answer from you on my blog.

If you feel like my policy is not compatible with your own policy, firstly accept my apology for advertising here; I will not be frustrated at all ifyou were to remove my "deviant" posts.
didier

by adafruit on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 pm

well it seems a little unfair to keep posting about great code but then keep it hidden. please let us know if you ever decide to post the code up on github or google code or something - we're all about sharing here!
otherwise, it doesn't make sense for you to keep posting, don't you agree?
adafruit

by didier on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:13 am

I will not teach you that the key components of my code are made public through the posts. What remains constrained to a mail (you say hidden) is the full picture of this code. I have a great concern for pedagogy, and my deep feeling is that you give better help in this way, more than just supplying Kb of code. May I also put the emphasis on the fact thar 99.9% of requests have been honored?
Beside that, you may understand that in the absence of a forum (which is a hell lot of extra work), I am lacking feed back from my readers, and that's the only way that I found to get some.
And finaly, I feel like I am not doing worst than Google: in a way or an other, aren't they picking information from you while they "offer" gratuity of some services? ;-)

I started installing Github, and I find it messy, or say, complicated:-( . Would you prepare a tutorial on that? (I feel rooky!). Point taken for pubicity on "hidden" code, I will refrain from posting stuff on that. Thanks for the thoughts. :wink:
didier

by philba on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 am

I understand your concerns but you should look at the open source movement. There are lots of examples out there of code that is still controlled by the owners and, yet, is made easily available to others. There are several standard license agreements that allow you to control how your code is used. It's your choice. As a user of free/open source software, I don't like the "beg for code" model. I just want to pull code down and play with it. I don't want to interact with the developer unless I choose to. But anyone who writes code can chose how they do or don't share it with others. So, no criticism from me - I'm just stating my personal preferences. If you are getting what you want from your efforts, then all is good!

I have to admit, I don't understand why people love Git. I've used a lot of source code control systems and agree with you, git is messy. But it seems to be the mess of choice these days.

Oh, and I do like your web site and discussions about FFT. If I had the code to play with they would be a lot better, though.
philba

by didier on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 pm

@pjilba: Thanks for your constructuve comments. May I firstly say that I heard about OSF in the middle of the 80's while I was a trainee in Unix system administration. The concept is not new for me and my options are based on deep thoughts. May I also remind you that I am leaving on the "old continent", and my education/culture states that If I want something from someone, the procedure is "May I have it, please?" and then "Thank you". I am neither blaming anybody nor trying to convince anybody here, I am just enumerating facts (that reminds me from a later "management through cultures" training!). However, from the messages I got, I can insure you that I got plenty very kind messages from people all around the world. I keep in mind this particular message from a kid in India who is doing magic things out of incredibly modest ressources. In such cases, I am inclined to offer more than just code.
Technically speaking, sending code allows me to send consistent and compatible code. My libraries are constantly improved and most of them are working in tight combinations (e.g the very popular PlainADC and PlainFFT), thus the need for managing their compatibility. I also got request for libraries which were not appropriate for the intended use.

@pjilba: Well you know the place, you know my options, feel free to "beg", no, blhaa, feel free to be my guest!

@limor: sorry for spamming this post. But I really feel like this discussion is helpful
didier

by Algolosaur on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:31 am

I think it needs to be said that while one may have very strong opinions on how open source should be handled, we actually live in a world that does not support our wishes. I for instance am deeply interested in Arduino FFT, but "send me an e-mail" is many bridges too far. The reason is simple: SPAM. I have only dial-up, and have lost e-mail accounts to the bombardments of the spamlords which required so much time to sort out the connection became unusable. This is not to impute malintention here, but my e-mail has leaked before and doubtless will again. I have also had e-mail logins for which I lost the password, and the password could not be reset by the site in question.

Much seriously bad experience later, I can only refuse an e-mail address unless extremely provoked.

Algolosaur
Veritas Vos Fugere Facet
Algolosaur

by didier on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:01 pm

The SPAM fear can be easily addressed. As long as no private information are related to the email, there is no need for any legal declaration or so. However, I may probably add a notice to my policy which will explain that:
- I will refrain myself from any use of email except for sending code and updates information
- My computer is protected by state of the art anti-intrusion software which prevent hacker from pishing email information

You may also understand that (And I am sure Limor will agree with this observation) in this context I am taking much more risks than you (risks of spam and other un pleasant, time wasting intrusions) because of the public exposure of my blog and mail!

About: "we actually live in a world that does not support our wishes" my answer is "It is our decision to change that!". I do not want write my full bio, but I may just let you know that this statement brought me to be a candidate to the house of parliament few years ago. I did not change the world, but I am convienced that I took my part in trying to make it better :wink:
didier

by nickflipper on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:51 am

@dadier

The PlainADC library sounds great and it is worthy of praise based on the results you have posted.

That said, what coding I do, I do with the intention of publishing a finished product that others can independently replicate. If my code depends on a closed library under a license agreement or copyright, then every person wanting to use it is forced to go through this "may issue" bottleneck which raises barriers to their successful duplication of my results.

With that in mind, your retention of control over the PlainADC library, in my opinion excludes it as a candidate for inclusion in any project I am working on.

A simple google search allows you to track how the library is being used. Social media being what it is, in most cases the same level of social interaction can be pursued with the creator of projects you like.

I've identified an alternative path forward using CMSIS libraries to satisfy my requirements:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?PHPSE ... 107.0.html

I doubt I will dissuade you from your position but it just seems like a waste that otherwise excellent tutorials are not living up to their potential educational value in the cases where this release policy discourages students from following along.

In any case, thank you for what content you have released on your blog. It was one of my first introductions to DSP concepts.

Best regards,
Flipper
nickflipper

by didier on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:46 am

@Flipper

Thanks for the comment which looks constructive in spite of some sourness that I feel between the lines. However I cannot read any solid proposal as an alternative to my actual policy.
I never use dices to makes my decisions, and I am big fan of quick and dirty Pareto (another great Italian guy!) before making significant ones. Which includes the risks of dissatisfying few amongst many. So far, I am extremely happy with the way my policy applies and is perceived by all except one or two.
I may take this opportunity to remind the key arguments which convince me to stick to my actual position:
- The code that I send is up to date, tested and the components sent are compatible.
- The feedbacks I get along with the request are extremely useful as a benchmark for new projects and for my own techno-eco surveys
- I often send more than just zip files, and I thank all those who took the time to keep posted with their project an even published kind words. I appreciate that a lot.

For your records, PlainADc and PlainFFT have been fused in PlainDSP which is now easier to use for most.

Regards
didier

by dlminton on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:07 pm

@ Didier I think you may be missing a BIG picture. As with me I’m sure there are a lot of other people out there that just say WTF?!?! Screw it!! Than go elsewhere to find what they are looking for. I would love to check out PlainDSP but will I write you an e-mail saying hello my name is blah blah blah I’m trying to blah blah blah would you be so kind as to share blah blah blah NO! Not today not tomorrow most likely never. Open source means “open”
DLMinton
dlminton