Unable to install Windows Driver for Mega 2560

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jmoyles

Unable to install Windows Driver for Mega 2560

Post by jmoyles »

Problem summary:
Using my new Arduino Mega 2560 - regardless of O/S, usb cable, or driver, result is the same during the windows driver install step: "Windows could not find driver software for your device"

Arduino:
Mega 2560

O/S's tried on:
Windows 7 x32 Home
Window 7 x64 Ultimate
Windows Vista x64
Windows Server 2003 Standard

User tried as:
Administrator or administrator rights user

Chipset:
All intel (x32, x64)

Drivers Tried:
Windows 2.08.08*
Windows 2.08.02*

* The VCP, D2XX, x32, and x64 download links for Windows all point to the same file (per version) on http://www.ftdichip.com. Bit compared them, all the same (per version).

Steps followed and results (for all combination's above)
[1] As per tutorial 0, downloaded 2.08.02 driver (NOTE: Windows driver link is broken on the Adafruit site), extracted to desktop
[2] Plugged in USB A-B Cable.
[3] Green light goes on (ON)
[4] One orange blinking light (L)
[5] Windows pops up found new hardware.
[6] pop up changes to "Windows could not find driver software for your device"
[7] I go into Device Manager
[8] Expand other devices
[9] I see "Arduino Mega 2560" listed, with the drivers not installed icon (yellow triangle with explanation point)
[10] I right click and select update driver
[11] I browse to the root of the extracted driver (for example, desktop/CMD 2.08.02 WHQL Certified"
[12] I click include subfolders
[13] I select next.
[14] I get "Windows could not find driver software for your device"

[15] I then retry the browse to step, trying every sub folder under the root, same results.

[16] Tried 2.08.08 driver, trying both root and all sub folders under the root, same results.

Summary of steps taken:
I've tried this on 4 different computers, including one with a brand new O/S build out specific to try to resolve this issue. Same results.

I've tried 5 different USB cables, same results (5 different cables, all of which were tested against another USB A-B device).

I've tried running the "setup executable" for the 2.08.02 driver, same results.

I'm completely out of ideas. I don't think it's my computer hardware (4 different platforms), the O/S specifically (3 different O/S's), or the cable (5 working cables tried). I've tried two different versions of FTDI drivers, no change in behavior. I've tried two different drivers (both standalone and setup executable), no change in behavior.

I've also tried manually picking the hardware type/device against the inf file (ftdiport.inf, ftdibus.inf), which does move the device to a COM port (after warning that the device software does not match the hardware). However, any access to the device (through the Arduino 022 software) ends up running at 100% process and basically locks up the computer. Again, this happens regardless of computer, O/S, cable, or driver.

Questions:
Is the Mega 2560 listed in the 02.08.02 or 02.08.08 driver file properly? (Outside of the 2560 being bad, I think this the most likely issue)
Is their an alternative approach to getting the drivers installed for the 2560?
Am I not following the directions properly?
Is this unit just not working?

Help!

adafruit

Re: Unable to install Windows Driver for Mega 2560

Post by adafruit »

the 2560 does not use an FTDI driver. check the latest arduino package for the mega 2560 driver

jmoyles

Re: Unable to install Windows Driver for Mega 2560

Post by jmoyles »

That was it exactly - use the drivers in the Auduino programming software.

Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”