I can't get sync to my PC to save my life!(repost)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

I can't get sync to my PC to save my life!(repost)

by herring_fish on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:17 pm

I posted the elsewhere but didn't get any resonce.

Postby herring_fish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 pm
I have been working for 3 (now 6) nights and I can’t figure out how to sync my Arduino Mega with my PC. I also have a, I2C/SPI/Onewire Shield from Andrew Oke that I have use or not used while trying to get this working.

I want to get a synced time and store it in the I2C/SPI. Then I want to unplug the USB and still start a program at set time throughout the day. ie. 1:00, 2:00; 3:00 etc.

I have tried the libraries Processing, TimeSerial, TimeSerialDateString, TineRTC, SoftSerial, on and on.

I thought that Process SyncArduinoClock should do it but I can’t compile it because it errors out here:
import processing.serial.*;

It says: * portIndex must be set to the port connected to the Arduino
But I don’t know what that means. I am using com port 5 to upload to the Arduino.

I also read about not being about to get the time through the serial port at the same time and having the serial monitor. That is all a little over my head.

Please help me by spelling out what I need to type in, where.

softrtc.pde compiles and give a proper time in the Serial Monitor
herring_fish

Re: I can't get sync to my PC to save my life!(repost)

by adafruit on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:15 pm

youre asking for support for products we dont sell or support. please contact the place you purchased for help. do not keep posting here
adafruit

Re: I can't get sync to my PC to save my life!(repost)

by herring_fish on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:17 pm

First of all, please let me apologize for re-posting but since I didn't get a response, I didn't know what infraction I had committed.

On the other hand, I thought that you supported the arduino environment including the arduino Mega 2560 in particular. The fact that I bought an I2C/SPI board from someone that responded to my first thread, should not preclude getting support for the arduino board that I have.

What I have asked does extend beyond the arduino board only as it relates to my planning phase. The actual issue that I have is limited to how my arduino board interacts with a certain group of libraries and sketches that deal with time. I simply ask why you thing that I can not compile a commonly use sketch.

I certainly hope that you will reconsider my request for help for my Arduino Mega.
herring_fish