[SOLVED] Arduino Uno r3: computer no longer detects Uno

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sabowski

[SOLVED] Arduino Uno r3: computer no longer detects Uno

Post by sabowski »

My Arduino Uno r3 is no longer being detected by my laptop. It still receives power via USB just fine, and the board will still happily run the last program that was uploaded to it. However my laptop (running Arch Linux) does not even detect the Uno, nothing in the logs, nothing listed in lsusb. I'm afraid I may have fried the Atmega16u2 chip!

The USB port on the laptop is still working (tested it with my phone), and moving the Arduino to other USB ports does not seem to change anything. I haven't yet tried plugging it into a different computer or trying a different cable, as both of those things aren't possible for me at the moment.

Any suggestions on how I can get to the bottom of this?

Thanks
Last edited by sabowski on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino Uno r3: computer no longer detects Uno

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A different cable and/or computer would be the first things to try. Some have resurrected unresponsive UNOs by resetting the DFU. These instructions are for the older 8U2-based UNOs, but the process for the 16U2 should be similar: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

sabowski

Re: Arduino Uno r3: computer no longer detects Uno

Post by sabowski »

I was nervous about trying to upload new firmware since everything out there seemed to be for the '8u2 as well as the fact that I am an Arduino newbie. However I gave it a try and it worked, my laptop again recognizes the Uno!

As a side note, I had to patch the dfu-programmer source. For the at90usb162 chipset it was looking for a USB device ID of 0x2ffa, but the Atmel chip in mine Uno r3 was giving a device ID of 0x2fef. Once I changed that in the dfu-programmer source it was able to find the board just fine.

Thanks

aab55

Re: [SOLVED] Arduino Uno r3: computer no longer detects Uno

Post by aab55 »

Can you please explain precisely what steps you followed??
Am facing the same condition!
Can you upload the patch??

rpavlik

Re: [SOLVED] Arduino Uno r3: computer no longer detects Uno

Post by rpavlik »

I've posted my version of the patch and more specific information on my blog here: http://academic.cleardefinition.com/201 ... no-uno-r3/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”