Issue with new Arduino Ethernet

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vietfella

Issue with new Arduino Ethernet

Post by vietfella »

Just received my new Arduino Ethernet board. I am trying to verify its functionality.

I am familiar with using the Arduino Uno, but this new board has built in SD and ethernet shield. Since it does not come with a built in USB I am using a FTDI basic adapter from SparkFun electronics.

My issue is that I cannot get the ethernet examples to work on Arduino IDE 022 or 1.0. There seems to be no power going to the ethernet when I plug in a RJ-45 cable. But when I plug in external 9V power it seems to blink.

Also the SD card examples don't work since i keep getting card.init failures. Is my Arduino bad?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

EVRE

Re: Issue with new Arduino Ethernet

Post by EVRE »

Digital pins 10, 11, 12, 13 are used for the Ethernet chip. Pin 4 is used whenever you have a microSD card inserted as well.
most sketches don't make correct reference to the SD card pin.
Power is not supplied down the Ethernet cable unless its setup for POE (Power over Ethernet).
Or are you referring to no link light on the Ethernet side? Plug it in to a switch to see if either give a link light.

I have had issue with the SD card on mine as well, using the SdFat example:
\arduino-1.0-windows\arduino-1.0\libraries\SdFat\examples\SdFormatter\SdFormatter.pde
generally got me back up and running. That is, if the card reader is correctly referenced in the program.

vietfella

Post by vietfella »

I am refering to the no link light on the ethernet side. I have it plugged into my ethernet switch but no lights unless I plug in an external power supply not USB. So I'm wondering if my USB is delivering 5V since it might be a 3.3V adapter.

I have ran all the basic arduino sketches and it seems to work.

CS 10 is for ethernet and Pin 4 for SD, I have had the correct settings and still no luck on either end.

SDFormatter keeps showing that I have card.init failed and SD error: 1,0.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do you have any of the Ethernet client examples working? you can connect out?

vietfella

Post by vietfella »

I have tried multiple ethernet examples with no luck. On the serial connection screen i don't see any output from the arduino and when I attempt to connect to it via a web browser I am not receiving any data.

I am waiting for my FTDI cable to arrive to see if that helps since I think the controller isnt receiving 5V from USB which may not be enough power using 3.3V from the usb adapter to power the ethernet?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

what does the serial monitor say?
make sure you power it with a 9V 1A adapter such as we have in the shop. a 3.3V adapter or a bad FTDI adapter is absolutely not enough!

vietfella

Post by vietfella »

Problem solved, apparently my FTDI friend was set to only 3.3V and wasn't driving enough power to the Arduino to run the ethernet wiznet. Hopefully this solves my SD issue also.

vietfella

Post by vietfella »

Using a Sandisk 8GB MicroSD, still can't get the SDFormatter to work.

This sketch can erase and/or format SD/SDHC cards.

Erase uses the card's fast flash erase command.
Flash erase sets all data to 0X00 for most cards
and 0XFF for a few vendor's cards.

Cards larger than 2 GB will be formatted FAT32 and
smaller cards will be formatted FAT16.

Warning, all data on the card will be erased.
Enter 'Y' to continue: Y

Options are:
E - erase the card and skip formatting.
F - erase and then format the card. (recommended)
Q - quick format the card without erase.

Enter option: F

SD initialization failure!
Is the SD card inserted correctly?
Is chip select correct at the top of this sketch?
error: card.init failed
SD error: 1,0

vietfella

Post by vietfella »

Found the issue, with the correct 5V and correct SS pin to 4, everything is functional.

Thanks.

dmook

Post by dmook »

I finally got my Mac to format a 2 GB SD card in FAT 16 (using some posted code to run in the Terminal window). The Cardinfo example runs fine but lists a scad of files on the card. I erased the card using the Mac Disk Utility and then re-formatted. Same thing happened: a scad of files on the card. The card will not write data and the data logger program says the card isn't there. Why does Cardinfo recognize the card and other sketches say it isn't there? Any suggestions about what to do at this point?

Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”