New LED project idea

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
msymms

New LED project idea

Post by msymms »

Hi All,
I am new to the Arduino, but not new to programming. I have basic circuitry knowledge but am no EE. I would like to build an LED "light show" for my vehicle. I have seen the simple LED strips that run under the dash, but I wanted something special and my own. I want to tie this into my fuse box running a max of 10A. I was hoping to have a central box that everything (Arduino, LEDs, and 12V) connects to (see pic). I want this to be upgradable to run additional LED strips in the future, thus the max at 10A. I wanted to use the Arduino enclosure sold on this site and use the color 16X2 LCD for read out showing whatever (current pattern, etc.). I would use buttons to control the unit.

Any ideas on components? 5V regulator? or the 9V? Connectors? other stuff? Where should I start?

TIA,
-mark

bunger

Re: New LED project idea

Post by bunger »

I am not sure about power connectors, but pick up at the least the following:

TFT Touchscreen:
You can code touch buttons to turn on the lights, run different sequences, etc.

Arduino UNO:
The brain.

12mm Diffused RGB LED 25 Strand or one of the strips
Uses 2 pins on the Arduino to control the entire strip(s).

Get decent power and you are good to go. You wouldn't need anything else.

msymms

Re: New LED project idea

Post by msymms »

So I have started drawing this thing out. This is my first Arduino project, but not first with programming. I am building some CMoy amps right now and struggling a bit with those but that is another story. Anyway I have started drawing out the PSU for the thing. I am pulling 12v from the vehicle and converting down to the 5v for the digital LED. I am using an LT1034CT (if there is something better let me know) that will give me up to 5 amps. I want to be able to power up to 2 meters of the LEDs which require about 2A per meter.
My problem is the heat sink for the voltage regulator, I have tried to figure this out but can't seem to find what I need. I think I am dissipating about 15W. I figure the ambient temp a little higher than 25º C since it will be in a vehicle near the floor board (summer heat or winter heater). I have even thought of adding a cooling fan to keep the enclosure smaller.

My next question is can I feed the Arduino controller a straight 12v from this PSU or should I add another section to provide the proper power for it. This will be cabled to the PSU but handheld for operation. See Attached schematic thus far.

TIA,
mark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”