AVRDUDE question

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jarcher

AVRDUDE question

Post by jarcher »

Hi All...

I know I can use AVRDude to set fuses, and I know I can use AVRDude to program in a bootloader. But, once the boot loader is installed, can I then use AVRDude to install the application without disturbing the boot loader? The idea is to write a script that sets fufes, then installs the boot loader and finally installs an application. This is just to save time.

I suppose I could install the boot loader, then use AVRDude to install an app through the boot loader. I just thought maybe it could be done in one fell swoop.

westfw

Re: AVRDUDE question

Post by westfw »

can I then use AVRDude to install the application without disturbing the boot loader?
In general, no. A "chip erase" is usually part of the "program chip using ISP" operation (I guess that it can theoretically be omitted, if you've ONLY programmed the bootloader, and THAT step included a chip erase. But I'm not sure how to convince avrdude to do this.)

You CAN merge the .hex file from your application with the .hex file from the bootloader, and program them both at the same time. There have been some other discussions of this, either here or in the Arduino forums.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”