I hope everyone's memorial day weekend is going well. I have been working on a project and all of a sudden lost all ability to communicate with the arduino via usb with a windows 7 ultimate 64-bit OS. I also tried it on another windows 7 PC with 32-bit and had no luck (even booted to ubuntu linux 32-bit and had no luck there, but my knowledge is very limited there.) I actually went out and bought a 3rd arduino to try from radioshack with no luck in desperation to finish my project. One of the arduinos does absolutely nothing (in terms of connecting) and the other 2 come up "Unknown Device." The first 2 arduinos I had were able to write code to them and then they started working some of the time and then nothing. One characteristic of the problem is the code I got on to an arduino works and the LCD now does not reach full brightness anymore. It is dim when usb powered, but when powered via the minty boost using a lipoly battery (6600mah 3.7v) all is ok (powering wise) none of them allow for code to be transferred. Only the power light and L blinks when resetting.
I tried to reload the drivers when it would actually react to something when plugged in and give me unknown devices in the USB area and not in the port area in device manager. When trying to update the unknown driver it says that it thinks it has the most up to date software. When going to the "have disk" area and manually choosing it it is saying there is an incompatibility and wont install it. When right clicking manually to install the driver from the ini file it refuses saying it does not support manual installation. I have an R2, Rev3 and original UNO. The two original uno's were purchased through adafruit. One as a gift as part of a kit and one on my own. I can provide the kit purchase email through email if necessary. I also looked at the USB data log file as specified on one of the posts on the forum and it lists it as an Unknown device not at an Arduino uno as it first did when these initially worked. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as detailed as possible. Thank you for any and all help. I am just short of redoing operating systems at this point! I haven't installed any new software to cause this either to think what may have happened causing this. Also I swapped cables and other usb devices work in the same usb ports.