The new Raspberry Pi B Model B+ is here - Pick one up in the store and check our detailed guide!

New WIZnet ethernet shield

by wnc on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi

Anybody ever used WIZ820io ethernet module from wiznet?
I am thinking of using that instead of official Ethernet shield which is expensive. And it is smaller, can be mounted on breadboard.
I understand that earlier version WIZ811MJ is working with Arduino fine.
Let me know your experience if you have used it ever.

Regards :D
wnc

Re: New WIZnet ethernet shield

by ColinA on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Yes, very easy to use..

I've altered this board since the pics. Added a header to pin 1 reset, and changed the input cap.
ColinA

by Stu.C on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:11 am

Very nice job there, Colin 8)
Stu.C

by wnc on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks Collin for your info.
You have done very tidy project board.
Where did you buy the board?

wnc

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:00 am

wnc wrote:Where did you buy the board?

That looks like an adafruit perma-proto board!
adafruit_support_rick

by hackerman336 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:42 pm

will you post a guide to how to make it ( possible instructable )
hackerman336

by jpbot on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:39 pm

The wiz812mj/wiz811mj use the W5100 chip just like the Arduino Ethernet and Ethernet Shield. The Ethernet library just works once you have made the usual connections.

This module, looks really nice and small but does use the W5200 chip. I've seen reference to modification to the library being required, http://blog.wiznet.co.kr/w5200-arduino-ethernet-library/#.T_y6hMXl9f8. You get more open connections which might be nice. It should be easy enough...I might add one to my next Mouser order.

I've picked up W812MJ modules from Semiconductor store, but I'm not sure they were actually stocking them yet so I waited a while for delivery. Mouser started carrying WIZnet products about the same time as Semiconductor store and has some WIZ820io in stock. I've bought some W811MJ modules from WIZnet directly in the past, http://shop.wiznettechnology.com/. http://www.saelig.com/WSE/BRD032.htm would be another place, but I have no personal experience with them.
jpbot

by ColinA on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:55 pm

The 820io is awesome for a cheap and quick way to add ethernet to your project. I got the module some time ago directly from Wiznet. I have the official Arduino ethernet card, but this is small and fits better into my project.

Here is a second proto-board. Male headers and a place to solder wire directly is the...And if I need 3.3v it's quickly altered by cutting out a couple jumpers and add a second regulator.

ColinA

by wnc on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks jpbot for your link and info.
I downloaded the library and tested the new WIZnet shield. It is working correctly.
It was easy to setup the hardware. As for software, just download the relevant files and save it in the library folder. That's all I need to do. I don't need to change the program at all.
Thanks CollinA for your nice picture and confirmation.

wnc

by BlueLotus on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 am

Yes Colin, The project board looks so neat that nobody even believes that you have done an experiment and made this one. It exactly looks like a new one made by an expert, so neat and perfect. If you can explain in detail how you made it, which would be very helpful.