No ADK can I work with Android?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
photobug

No ADK can I work with Android?

Post by photobug »

I have an Mega 2560 board but not the ADK version. I am working on a project that I would eventually like to control with either my Droid Phone or Ipad.

Are there shields or add ons that I can get that will make my Arduino android compatible or do I need to buy an ADK board?

tldr

Re: No ADK can I work with Android?

Post by tldr »

there are a couple of different usb host shields out there. sparkfun has one for $25.00.

photobug

Post by photobug »

there are a couple of different usb host shields out there. sparkfun has one for $25.00.
So all that needs is a way to communicate via USB host shield? Will this be run through a computer from the Android?

Would a Wifi or Bluetooth shield allow me to run the Arduino from the Android wirelessly?

tldr

Post by tldr »

well, the adk is pretty much just a mega 2560, with a usb host interface. just plop the shield on the mega and plug in your android device.

of course, if your android device has usb on-the-go, you could just get one of those micro-b to a adapters and plug into the available usb port on the mega.

there's no reason, (that i know of), that either bluetooth or wifi should not work.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”