Arduino Uno R3 Not Identified At All By Computer

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Arduino Uno R3 Not Identified At All By Computer

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Mastermime wrote:Would it be safe to use that schematic if I bought another Arduino and made the same connections?
No idea. Did you have the USB and 12V plugged in at the same time? Maybe that was the problem. If not, then I'd say that the odds are good that you'll just toast the next one.

If it were me, I'd add another supply for the arduino, lcd, and PS2. Arduinos run best on 7-9V at the barrel jack. We provide 9V supplies with our kits. Or add your own voltage converter to down-convert the 12V

mastermime

Post by mastermime »

I have Dimension Engineering's AnyVolt 3 to power my circuit so I can actually just adjust the pot screw to regulate it down to 9 volts. The reason I set the regulator to output 12 volts was because my video transmitter required 12 volts, but I think it will operate just fine at 9 volts, wouldn't you say? There aren't many specifications on it because it's made in China, but here is the page for it http://www.asianwolf.com/cctv-spycamera-3000ma.html

I guess one way to find out if it works or not is to simply test it. I mean its not like I can damage it by operating it at a lower voltage

adafruit_support_rick

I don't know whether your transmitter will operate on 9V or not, and I don't know whether or not it can be damaged by under-voltage operation.

You might try it at 11V first. The thing to watch for on the arduino is the voltage regulator getting hot. Nothing on the arduino should get hot, but pay particular attention to the parts between the barrel jack and the USB port.

And don't plug in USB when it's running off of high voltage.

mastermime

Post by mastermime »

Ok I'm going to run it at 11 volts. Thanks for your help

lemonas

Post by lemonas »

well i ahve a pickle. by accident i connected my arduino to 9 V AC adaptor which outputs 1000mA aka 1A. so i am wondering if it fried almost everything? cause ON led is working when i plug in my uno and L led is working, but it is not detected by my computer any help or sarcasting mocking would be appreciated :D

adafruit_support_rick

9VDC 1A is the proper adapter to use for an arduino. The LEDs are working, so it's not toasted.

Was it recognized previously, or is this a new Uno? What kind of computer are you using? If it's a Windows computer, have you installed the driver?

lemonas

Post by lemonas »

driverblock wrote:9VDC 1A is the proper adapter to use for an arduino. The LEDs are working, so it's not toasted.

Was it recognized previously, or is this a new Uno? What kind of computer are you using? If it's a Windows computer, have you installed the driver?
yes it was recognized before. and i am using windows. I uploaded the sketch connected my circuit, and by mistake grabbed my ac adaptors plug. After that, my arduino is no more being recognised anymore.

adafruit_support_rick

So you connected 9VAC instead of 9VDC? In that case, then yes, your Arduino is probably dead. :(

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hmmm. There is a diode before the voltage regulator to protect against reverse voltage. But I don't know how well the rest of the system would tolerate a half-rectified sine-wave input.

lemonas

Post by lemonas »

well i figured :) i pay the price for not paying attention :) and it bugs me because i just soldered the custom shield, and after frying mine arduino found out my error in the circuit :D and i cannot test it anymore, and have no money to buy another one right now :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”