avrdude error/sketches not uploading

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ChickenVivo

avrdude error/sketches not uploading

Post by ChickenVivo »

I am new to Arduino and electronics and I have a problem that is over my head.
I was able to figure out how to write some sketches and get things to work, so I somewhat understand those basics. I bought a motor shield and lcd shield (both adafruit products). I was able to get both to work using some basic sketches. just recently I was playing around with putting both together and doing some other tests for a project I'm doing. Last night everything worked just great but I tried it today and it didn't work. I decided to try reloading the sketch but it wouldn't let me due to this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I did my homework and looked everywhere and tried all the solutions (at least the ones I understood).
I correctly have the COM set, the board set, drivers working, etc. I did notice that the reset button no longer resets the board like it did, the lights do not blink (they are on when plugged in). I have tried unplugging all modules and wires but still nothing. I've tried multiple times to upload even the simplest of sketches.

I'm not sure what is wrong and I don't know enough about electronics or programming to know what I've done to ruin it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: avrdude error/sketches not uploading

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I did notice that the reset button no longer resets the board like it did, the lights do not blink (they are on when plugged in).
That is not a good sign. Which Arduino are you using? Does it behave the same way with all shields removed?

mastermime

Post by mastermime »

I had this same exact problem. I came to the conclusion with the help of driverblocks that my board was damaged, particularly the ATmega16U2 (or 8U2 in the rev1 and rev2 boards). What I did not figure it is how exactly it happened. I might have accidentally shorted something.. I dont know.

ChickenVivo

Post by ChickenVivo »

Forgot to mention that it is an Uno R3. I'm not sure how it happened and it acts the same with the modules on or off. I was afraid that it might be toast.

adafruit_support_bill

No blink on reset means that the bootloader is not running. You may be able to revive the board with a new processor. https://www.adafruit.com/products/123

mastermime

Post by mastermime »

I just tried switching the Atmega 328P with my other Uno R3 and no luck, I still had all the LEDS light up with no response from my computer when I connect it.

adafruit_support_bill

Do you at least get 3 flashes when you hit the reset button?

mastermime

Post by mastermime »

Nope. No blinking

adafruit_support_bill

Not sure what else to try. The processor/bootloader should be able to flash the led by itself - even if the 16U2 is dead. But something seems to be preventing the processor from resetting and running the bootloader.

aiw

Post by aiw »

If you've changed the 328 chip and get the same results, then you might want to verify you have the proper voltages from the voltage regulators, particularly the 5V in this case. I know sometimes IC's will act up if the voltages aren't correct. Might turn some pins on but not operate correctly. If voltages are correct, could there be an issue with the reset circuitry external to the chip. I know the LED's don't "blinky", but do they go off at all when the the reset button is depressed?

If no, and you are comfortable with a digital volt meter, I would look to see that pin 1 on the 328 does in fact go to 0V when the reset button is depressed.

ChickenVivo

Post by ChickenVivo »

adafruit_support wrote:No blink on reset means that the bootloader is not running. You may be able to revive the board with a new processor. https://www.adafruit.com/products/123
Maybe I'll have to try that because it doesn't blink the light when I push the reset button. The computer seems to recognize when it is plugged in but it doesn't upload sketches like I stated.

Thanks for the help!

adafruit_support_bill

One thing to be aware of: The "Board Type" selection in the IDE depends on the bootloader. So installing a new processor with the Adaboot loader will turn your UNO into a Duemilanove for uploading purposes. I usually put a label on boards with non-standard bootloaders to avoid confusion. Of course you can re-flash the chip with an UNO bootloader if you like.

eatabean

Post by eatabean »

My problem is similar, although slightly different. I post here and see if there is a response. When I hit upload I get an error saying Arduino is not listed as a supported device in AVRDUDE. What the heck?Last week it worked just fine. I am running Ubuntu 11.04, Arduino IDE 0022. Strange thing is that it works on my MEGA but not on the UNO... ???? Help?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Sounds like your avrdude.conf file has been corrupted? You might try reinstalling the Arduino IDE.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”