Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

best way to give away my project??
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

best way to give away my project??

by rizla420 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am

Hey Guys/Gals,
A few years ago I wanted to get into electronics and decided to embark on making an electronic beer pong table. Low and behold, I succeeded. My tables were used for a beer pong league and it was very well received. I had grand plans of taking it up a level and start manufacturing/distributing them.

Life got in the way, this was always a part time thing and I just wasnt able to maintain my focus/motivation (worked on it solo for 2+ years..) to keep working on it.
Here's what it is and does:
1.) its a 8x3ft foldable beer pong table.
2.) There are 20 LED's under where all the cups are.
3.) 4 arcade buttons
4.) 4 single digit LED counters (hit tracker)
5.) A restart button
6.) Arduino based board (bet you knew that was coming)
7.) Xbee for wireless communication to a computer 8.) Multiple tables can co-communicate with the computer. I had 8 working on our league nights.
8.) the code on the computer side is a shell script that monitors the serial port for the custome protocol I wrote that writes to a flat file. Then I have a parsing script that reads the flat file and writes the data to a database. I have a front end gui that keeps track of each player/team hits/percentages. It knows which shots you've hit and your hit/miss streaks.

So thats kind of what it does in a nutshell.

Since, as I said earlier, i'm not really doing much with it. I figure it would be a fun project from some undergrads to play with and have fun. Im too lazy to go through the effort of setting up a site and curating this thing.
I have all the Arduino Code, Schematics for printing your own boards, script code, and I have a ton of extra material. i have about 50 tables with precut holes for the plexiglass and the parts that i want to get rid of.

I also have about 70 identical tables to the ones that are used for the electronic version if you're looking for some cheap pong tables for dorm/frat/house.
If anything, I wouldnt mind working with some people on moving it forward, but I have zero motivation to do so.

What do you think the best route for me to set a labor of love project free due to lack of motivation/time/money. Obviously its not cool if someone takes the stuff i've done and trys to profit off it, but if it makes people have fun thats all I want. Enjoy it!

i live in Boston so people close by would be ideal since there could be logistical issues to deal with.

here's an album I just made with some pics: http://imgur.com/a/JAT60

I'll get a video up, so you can see it in action. The code that is running on the table is old and I changed a bunch of stuff to it after that video was made, but it gives you the jist of the operation.

thanks and have a great day.
rizla420